Thread: Advantech Shop Floor

Advantech Shop Floor

Back in September I made a post about "Converting Cinder Block Barn To Woodshop". It generated lots of good advice. Now that the house renovation is done (as much as a project like that can ever be done--LOL!), I am turning more of my attention over to the next phase of the project--getting the shop built.

One of my big concerns has been about the type of floor to be installed. Since the barn has an earthen floor, this will be the perfect opportunity to install a really good floor that I will be happy with for years to come. After a lot of research and soul searching, I am pretty much decided on the following:

Excavate the earthen floor. Install 2" XPS Foamular 250 (compression rated @ 25psi) along inside perimeter of foundation to a depth of 2 feet. Lay down a bed of gravel, then reinforced 6 mil vapor retarder. Pour concrete. Cover concrete with 2" Foamular 250, tape seams, then overlay with 7/8" Advantech, secured to concrete with Tapcon screws.

How does that sound so far? I read a lot about using sleepers vs not using sleepers. Seems like I can get away without using them if I use a high compression strength foam. Will the Foamular 250 at 25 psi be enough? Right now none of my machines is heavier than maybe 800 lbs.

The other big question is about the Advantech. Does anyone have experience of using Advantech as their final floor surface? I am weighing the options of leaving the Advantech as the shop floor, or using it as a subfloor and installing hardwood over it? Any thoughts?

I use it as my final floor and have been very happy with it.

image-3167218301.jpg

I don't recommend it, we use it as a subfloor on a lot of houses, and it defiantly shows wear by the time it gets covered. I will try to take pictures of what it looks like after 6 months tomorrow. The only option I know nothing about is if you put a finish on it. That may make it keep up better but would probably still not last like hardwood.

I'm not sure what Steve considers wear but I've been using it on new homes and additions since it came out and the stiff is basically bulletproof. Many floor decks sit underwater in heavy rains, wet leaves, debris on them, and the material is unscathed other that getting a tiny bit hairy and a touch of edge swell. In a dry home shop environment that sees tennis shoes or boots from just a few people over its life I can't see it as a bad idea. Most residential subfloors see dozens and doezens of subs, gc, homeowner, traffic and some of the most harsh treatment and its still the best subfloor on the market.

In the extremes of wet and time it darkens but in a clean and lightly used environment id wager it'll look as good as the day it went in for a long long time.

I agree it is like a bullet. I have it in my house and it is exposed as the attic floor over my garage. Looks good. I think as a shop floor it should do well.

Red
    RED

Advantech brand is a great product, extremely durable in rough environments, don't use the box store knock-offs, the stuff turns into a potato chip at the hint of moisture. There is no need for sleepers when installing as you are, and I've even floated Advantech over XPS insulation, no fastening - Not recommended if in a humid environment though. Sleepers break continuous insulation and allow for vapor, moisture and heat transfer. I floated 3/4 in my new shop, it is conditioned space, no issues. It can be slippery with sawdust combined with smooth soled shoes. The blue Dow XPS foam also has the 25psi rating. If you plan to install hardwood over it secure the subfloor, may want to use adhesive - XPS to concrete and subfloor. If you think this space may ever take on another use in the future like a garage or workplace that requires the concrete floor, consider putting XPS under the pour as well. Another option is to skip the rebar in the slab and use fiber reinforced instead, can save you some money, check with your concrete guy if this is normal practice in your region.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Sorry the insulators are doing spray foam today and tomorrow, so I can't take pictures. I agree it is the best product on the market for it's prescribed use as a sub floor. I guess I'm picky but after working over it for 6 months it does not look nice like Kevin's picture. It is absolutely in perfect condition it's just dirty. That's why I stated maybe with a finish like a floor poly it might make a great floor but in its normal state you just can't sweep it and have it be clean. Has anyone tried putting a finish on advantec?

My second story shop has Advantech (sub)flooring and has held up extremely well for over 10 years- no abrasion, flaking, or other surface degradation, whatsoever. I applied two coats of Polycrylic deck paint (no grit added)- bad decision. While it sealed the surface and makes it easier to sweep up dust, it makes it somewhat slippery- when there is a modest amount of dust build-up, it can be hard to maintain good footing when feeding wide boards into the jointer. I use rubber mats in areas like that.

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 01-07-2015 at 9:51 PM.

I used 3/4" Advantech on sleepers @16"o.c. with 1" foam between; shimming the sleepers got me a very flat floor compared to the rough slab beneath. One coat of oil/polyurethane base porch/deck enamel , sanded with 80#, plus one topcoat- pretty much bulletproof, easy to clean and not slippery. No finish will probably wear a bit more and be harder to sweep, but the material is very tough.

Hey Kevin,

Nice looking floor, nice looking shop.

Thanks for your response!

Karl

Hey Alan, That's an impressive space! Thanks for sharing your experiences with AdvanTech.

Karl

Thanks to everyone who responded! (NT)

All your responses are greatly appreciated!

Karl

I believe that there are two grades of Advantec on the market, one is priced about the same as regular OSB and the other one is the good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuzdrall View Post
    I believe that there are two grades of Advantec on the market, one is priced about the same as regular OSB and the other one is the good stuff...
    I've never known this to be the case. Huber only lists a single floor product but I wouldn't put anything past the home centers. They will do everything in their power to wring all possible profits out of a product with no care whatsoever about quality.

Even with thay I would find it hard to believe Huber would allow their product to be tarnished in such a way. They own the marketplace so its likely one of the few products that can tell the home.centers to stick it where the sun don't shine.

What you may be seeing is that there can be wild swings in the pricing of these products and replacement cost pricing. Could be that your seeing some varied pricing on the same product.

It it may have been lumber yard BS. A buddy of mine is a home builder and always uses Advantech for the subfloors. He got a quote last week that was pretty cheap and questioned it but the yard told him that it was also Advantech...just a lower grade. Maybe they meant to say "cheap alternative to advantech" because he was surprised as well. He told them to sell that to the cut rate contractors and give him the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I've never known this to be the case. Huber only lists a single floor product but I wouldn't put anything past the home centers. They will do everything in their power to wring all possible profits out of a product with no care whatsoever about quality.

Even with thay I would find it hard to believe Huber would allow their product to be tarnished in such a way. They own the marketplace so its likely one of the few products that can tell the home.centers to stick it where the sun don't shine.

What you may be seeing is that there can be wild swings in the pricing of these products and replacement cost pricing. Could be that your seeing some varied pricing on the same product.