Thread: Best Inexpensive front vise? Veritas inset vise?

Best Inexpensive front vise? Veritas inset vise?

So, a bit of a backstory first.

Have been in the process of getting ready to build a better workbench for awhile. Built a temporary bench out of BORG and construction grade pine to try different heights, lengths, split top vs full top etc. Anyhow...

After trading planes with Steven C Neuman and getting a nice #5 and #4 vintage Stanly, I cancelled my order to lie Nielson for the #4 Bronze I wanted and instead sent $334 to Benchcrafted for the traditional front vise with the criss cross. This will go on the main bench.

Problem is, I am liking the idea of having two benches in the shop. Wanting to build a second smaller bench for mainly plaining and assembly, also for staging parts while I work. Since I will already have one nice set of vises on the main bench, I do not want to send off a wad of cash to Lake Erie, Lie Nielson, or Benchcrafted for the second bench.

Who makes the best economy front vise screw for a leg vise, and are there other vise options for the second bench worth considering?

Also, has anyone here used the Veritas Inset vise?

Also, any pics of smaller workbenches that are interesting would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Have you considered a crochet? Or a traditional planing stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Have you considered a crochet? Or a traditional planing stop?

I have worked that way for about 30 years or so-It's how I work off of the bench that doubles as my table saw outfeed table now. The only disadvantage I see is when I want to work with really small pieces of wood, such as drawer runners. Most other stuff I can take care of with a birds mouth, hold downs, et al when I plane.

Thanks to everyone who reads this and helps....thinking out loud is really benefiting me.

Almost tempted to mount a cheap small front vise to the second bench, buy nice Moxon hardware from Benchcrafted, and call it done.

Blog Entries
    Chris,

Here is something Saint Roy had on his program:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Without-A-Vise

As for an inexpensive vise screw, my choice was one Lee Valley carries:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...59,41661,41664

There were a couple of small items wanted during a free shipping event so to bring up the total a couple of vise screws were added to the order.

Now my thoughts are to use a double screw set up for my vises. That means two more may be on order in the future.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use the Gramercy holdfasts a lot...versatile and easy to use, inexpensive... They make a really good alternative to a vise, especially if you have a crotchet and a few fixtures.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Rather than fighting a tail vise into my bench, I installed a veritas inset vice. Very happy with it, really easy to install. I also use the Veritas "wonder pup" as a tail vice of sorts.
    Paul

This is what I've got, not the easiest to install but works great.

Screenshot_2015-01-06-12-55-07.jpg

Here its installed on my bench. I've got two of em, one for the face vise one for a tail.

IMAG1735.jpg
    Last edited by Judson Green; 01-06-2015 at 1:59 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    I use the Gramercy holdfasts a lot...versatile and easy to use, inexpensive... They make a really good alternative to a vise, especially if you have a crotchet and a few fixtures.
    I held off on the gramercy holdfasts for the longest time....which was my mistake. I use them all of the time on both of my benches.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Rather than fighting a tail vise into my bench, I installed a veritas inset vice. Very happy with it, really easy to install. I also use the Veritas "wonder pup" as a tail vice of sorts.
    Glad for the positive report. Like I said, small parts are the only thing that give me problems.

When I grow up, I wanna file ALL day.
    I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I don't get it.
    A little off topic but...

Monster.com commercial: http://youtu.be/rJB0CzlzSwY
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

That was funny

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    A little off topic but...

Monster.com commercial: http://youtu.be/rJB0CzlzSwY

Yup

I have posted this a bazillion times so you have probably seen it too much already but for working small parts can't beat the Japanese methods. In this case my interpretation is a fairly hard wood screw that is counter sunk into the surface (one is against the thin board but there is a second one there for wider work). Like a dog but the edge of the screw gets a bit of a bite and keeps the end of the work held down.
    Can screw it in flush. There are a couple of concrete nails that act as stops for cross grain plaining; I just pry them up or tap them down. I was experimenting with nails because that is the more traditional stop on a planing beam.

second photo
    I can't really relate to the long vertical face vises or the rails in the way type but here is small, inexpensive and versatile face vise. Made with a giant Bessy clamp. I think mine is even deeper throat than the one in my link and I only paid about thirty bucks for mine. Long ago. Changing jaws is just a push on pull off affair.

PS: of course the main face vise is the Klausz shoulder vise. I used the rails in the way and the Bessy face vise to make the Klausz. Sounds like you will be going the opposite direction; using the nice vises to make the get you by.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-06-2015 at 11:36 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

First photo shows the concrete nail(s) along the side for a cross planing stop.

Or better yet just put Klausz vises on your second bench.
    Oh . . .
    and have two sets of brass knobs for the vise handles . . .
    some days you might feel like using patinaed (non shiny knobs) and other days only polished vise handle knobs will do.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.