Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New One-Time-Tool Offer!

New One-Time-Tool Offer!

No..this is not a commercial. I looked everywhere for one of these Woodpecker Squares a couple of years ago. I got lucky and found a used one. It's been one of my most used tools both for set up of my Festool table and for checking squareness on scraps. Since I already own the 26", I'm going for the 18". Compared to a friends 24" Starrett, my WP shows no lite along the edges. Just wanted to let you guys know...no affiliation.
    Now, for that 6' Starrett straight edge...

You had to wet my appetite. I wanted one of these before but was hesitant because of price. Hmm....now I may just have to get one.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Not to be a jerk about it but it seems to me it would be relatively easy to get a really good framing square and add cheeks to it.

I am not against buying high quality tools but sometimes the price is prohibitive.

I like high quality tools and do have some of the one time stuff but $200 FOR framing square....

Yeah, the price is high. That said, I cant explain well enough, just how dead on this square is. I've had framing squares that I've trued up, but these WP squares are no comparison. These are more like precision Starrets, on a large scale, at a much lower price. I gotta say, for a Festool table owner, it's a must-have setup tool. I use it to check squareness in larger boards all the time.
    Like I sais, I have no stake in this. I'm just love accuracy and this thing is guaranteed accurate.

I just saw these as well. I've been looking for a large precision square for a while, but can't stomach dropping that kind of money for one.

FYI: an alternative product, pricey, but some additional features

To square up the fences on my slider table saw I looked for a used WP 2616 square but didn't find one. Instead I found something that does the trick AND it has additional angle setting features. It's a 24 x 16 precision square made by Lamb Tool Works and it's made with dowel holes to also set angles at degrees of 5, 10, 15, 20 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. It also has ability to register against the edge of a work surface (see page 7 of the user manual online) for 90 degree references.

I'm not affiliated with Lamb in any way. I simply found their website when I googled for precisions squares and I just purchased their square but I haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on the quality/precision. I just wanted to pass along the info that I found an alternative to the large Woodpecker's square.

here is the website link:
    http://www.lambtoolworks.com/products.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    sometimes the price is prohibitive.
    Agree with you Dale, some tools are so dang expensive. sometimes it takes me a while to save the money to buy a super high quality tool, but 99% of the time I love using the tool and it helps me to produce better results than my weak WW skills would suggest.

I see folks claim that precision isn't important in woodworking because the wood's going to move anyway. Well, I get that, but have you ever cut the pieces necessary to assemble something, say a cabinet with drawers for example, and discovered your parts aren't perfectly square? That's a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post
    To square up the fences on my slider table saw I looked for a used WP 2616 square but didn't find one. Instead I found something that does the trick AND it has additional angle setting features. It's a 24 x 16 precision square made by Lamb Tool Works and it's made with dowel holes to also set angles at degrees of 5, 10, 15, 20 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. It also has ability to register against the edge of a work surface (see page 7 of the user manual online) for 90 degree references.

I'm not affiliated with Lamb in any way. I simply found their website when I googled for precisions squares and I just purchased their square but I haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on the quality/precision. I just wanted to pass along the info that I found an alternative to the large Woodpecker's square.

Craig, nice find. I really like the Indicator Holder. I've got a OneWay, but sometimes find the holder a bit short. If the triangle is dead 90* and the sides are straight, it looks like it would do the job. I had a similar precision triangle, from another manufacturer, that turned out to be not that precise.

Call me crazy, but I ordered one. This is a serious hobby for me, and nice fancy looking tools just add to the pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    I see folks claim that precision isn't important in woodworking because the wood's going to move anyway. Well, I get that, but have you ever cut the pieces necessary to assemble something, say a cabinet with drawers for example, and discovered your parts aren't perfectly square? That's a mess.
    No. Not when I made my tool chest. A plastic drafting square works fine.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post

This is a pricey tool also. It may have additional use over the WP square but it seems like it requires some set up to insure it is square. The WP square can be used for checking squareness of cabinets also that this would not be quite as handy to use for IMHO.

Don't forget that Carbide Processors is Creek friendly and also offers free shipping on orders over $150. So the in your shop price is less than from Woodpeckers.

George
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Craig, nice find.I had a similar precision triangle, from another manufacturer, that turned out to be not that precise.
    Agreed, if it's accurate it'll be a nice tool, but given I have no experience with their stuff, you never know until you get your hands on the product.

I'll try to post a product review after I get a chance to run it through its paces.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    in your shop price is less than from Woodpeckers.

George
    That happens to me quite often, I search for something, can't find it, then a day or two after I buy an alternative, the thing I was first looking for is available. too funny. if you ever want WP to do another run of a one time tool, let me know and I'll buy a substitute product,...then a few days later WP will announce its availability again.