Thread: Chippendale drawer front

Blog Entries

Chippendale drawer front

Here are some pics of a carved drawer front for a Chippendale lowboy I'm building. There more pictures on the Neanderthal forum – I'm really more of a hand tool woodworker and only a novice carver but I would post a couple here. Thanks to all here for your many suggestions and advice!
    27.jpg29.5.jpg29.jpg30.jpg33.jpg19.jpg

Best, Mike

Mike, please excuse the question from a soon-to-be novice relief carver... What is the metal plate shown in your pic #1 used for and how is it used? It appears to be a template for different sizes of gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thom View Post
    Mike, please excuse the question from a soon-to-be novice relief carver... What is the metal plate shown in your pic #1 used for and how is it used? It appears to be a template for different sizes of gouge.
    I'm not Mike of course, but it's a scraper with different-sized radii.

Mike, the carving looks great! I don't think you're a novice any more!
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Gee, how did I miss this? Looking good Mike!
    The Woodworking Studio

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mark, Coming from you that is high praise indeed.

I'm a huge admirer of your work and always enjoy your posts/pictures. Having done just a bit of carving now myself I have even more appreciation, if that's possible, for the phenomenal work you do! I know for an absolute certainty that even on my best day I could never even attempt approaching the level of your talent.

Thanks for your generous contributions to this community.

Best, Mike

Oh Mike!
    thank you very much. But what little I contribute is my pleasure. Glad to know you enjoy it.
    The Woodworking Studio