Thread: Haven't been around much and heres why.

Haven't been around much and heres why.

I have been building a set-down lathe on the R/H side of my Union Graduate. Finally got it done. I had to build a banjo completely which I made from 3 pieces of 1/2" aluminum and to outside pieces of 1/2" plywood. For now I'm using a bolt from top down and threaded into a bottom plate, this allows the banjo to be tightened to the ways with a wrench from the top. The tail stock I made from a plate of aluminum and several pieces of plywood, in the pictures you can see I got the centers lined up within a 1/32 ( that was a miracle ). The bed is an extension bed for my old model Delta Midi lathe along with the tail stock. I made a longer center pin for the tail stock so the locking handle works just like it was made too. A R/H bed for this lathe would have cost me around $1000.00 to buy and ship here. This way it only cost about $9.00 for some bolts,nuts,paint and a spring. So hopefully I can get to turning again.
    001 (2).jpg002 (2).jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg
    The whole reason for this is my back and both legs are getting to were I can't stand for very long so I'm trying to ahead of the situation.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Looks like it should work. Might make turning straight spindles a bit of a bother - they will be slightly tapered if you line up with the ways to turn them.

I have been wanting to upgrade and thinking hard about the Robust Independence as I can see the day when I can't stand more more than a few minutes at a time.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Good workmanship. Lucky you--I always wanted a Union graduate and a lear jet.

Looks great. Thom, I have a friend who just took delivery of his Independence at the Phoenix symposium and loves it. Big investment, but he said it was worth every penny.

It is good to see that with a bit of hard work you were able to make it so you could continue to do something that you love. I have a bad back and have always thought of making some sort of sitting lathe. My problem is that I see the chair as taking a lot of mobility away from the normal freedom you have either in front of or behind the work. In my head I have this image of somehow making a chair on an articulating arm with multiple points of movement and adjustment that would have the capability to attach to virtually any machine. you would control your movement with your feet on a rest of some sort meaning that as you come across a bowl or spindle you could glide with it which would make for smoother cuts and help keep you out of the line of fire as much as possible. with the right hook up you could adjust for either inbound or outbound turning.
    Well anyway I may never do it but now that I said it maybe someone will carry it further then just a thought. nice job and I hope it means you can enjoy many more hours of fun.
    Darren in Oshawa

Great job on the lathe revamp.

as far working when your back and legs start to give out, instead of a chair or stool why not something like a bosons chair suspended from the ceiling? Have it adjusted so that you can touch the floor easily with your feet, but the chair holds your weight. It should allow you just about the same mobility and it would just be getting use to the support rope.

You could even attach a seat like those on swing sets for very little kids, where a strap comes up between your legs in front to help keep you from sliding out. You could probably get real fancy and add a garage door spring or something like it to the line to add a bit of vertical give to the seat like the old jolly jumpers. They have all sorts of lift supports now for handicapped people that you may be able to replicate.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I knew I had to do something and the cost for a Oneway or Robust was just way way out of my range. I believe my $9.00 was a very good investment.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.