Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Burl Hollow Form - A first for me.

Cherry Burl Hollow Form - A first for me.

This is my first hollow form. It is made of cherry burl with a wall thickness about 1/4". It is 3" tall x 3 3/4" diameter at the largest diameter. Finished with WOP (wipe on poly) It still needs a few more coats then it will be buffed and waxed.
    I am going to try to make a finial for this one also.

More to the story... in January 2012, I had convinced my wife to let me buy a Monster articulating hollowing system, but I was working on the road for 9 months that year. I took a different job, the one I am currently in, and finally got around to using the system. It really works well. The piece of wood was left from a bowl that I had made and sat on the shop floor for over a year. I couldn't make myself cut it up for pen blanks because I thought it would make a good hollow form.

C & C are welcome. This is my first, so let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

If that's your first HF, can't wait to see what you come up with on your 20th one! Nice job Rich, nice execution with a cool looking chunk of wood.

Looks very nice.

Super bowl and wood too.

Hard to believe that's your fist HF!!...Nice form and a beautiful piece of wood!

Everyone likes something different, but I like the level of gloss you've got right now.

Rich, very nice HF. Much better use of the burl than penn blanks.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

a first? can't wait to see the 15th..super job
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Excellent, Rich! Very good form and execution - not to mention a beautiful piece of wood.

Rich
    Beautiful cherry HF, and beautiful UP cherry. I am from Crystal Falls and have seen a lot of that burl around here. I am drying some now for some game calls. I also just bought an articulated hollowing system but have not tried it out yet, just waiting for the burl to dry some more.

Based on weather reports you are what seems to be the snow capital of the UP. We don't have as much snow but we have the same below "0" temp all week. Keep warm.

That's beautiful Rich, nicely done.

You certainly made the correct choice not to make pen blanks. Very nice HF whether first, last or in between.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

12. Rich, if that were your 50th hollow form it would be very nice, being your first it is really exceptional work.

Beautifully done. I agree it's very hard to believe that's your first it is such a good job.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

Nicely done.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thank you for the compliments. I was amazed at how easy it seemed.

There are a few things that I would change as far as form, some of it was caused by tool challenges due to how small the hollow form is. The boring bar is 3/4" and to get the large diameter hollowed, I had to make the hole bigger. That makes it very close in size to the foot, which I was already committed to the diameter. I have a better understanding of the planning now for the hole and the foot diameter. The 2/3 1/3 rule applies here too. It is one of those things where you don't know enough to ask the question until you go too far and can' cut more on.....
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author