Thread: 3520B Bed Extension

3520B Bed Extension

When I first installed my machine in Nov. '13, I put the bed extension in the lower position and used the tool rest riser when cutting out the inside of a bowl. Original thinking was hey now I can do a 30"+ bowl if I want to. Needless to say I've never done anything that large and even though I'd probably like to, I dread the thought of bowl prep for a blank that size. Too much lugging around for my liking at my age. I liked that set-up but as I've added other accessories like hollowing and coring rigs, I found myself always needing to remove the tailstock because it was in the way. So today the light bulb went off and decided to tryout the extension in the upper position. Used the hollowing rig and did a bowl and I'd say I'm quite pleased with the results. Only time all day the tailstock came off was to do the inside of the bowl. For me, it's a must to work off the end of the lathe so I can be in a more upright position. I say all of that to ask others that have the extension, what position do you have yours in?

I have my extension in the upper position and it was only removed to break down lathe for move. I normally just move my tailstock to end of extension and have not worked off the end except for hollowing. One of these days I do plan to find a piece of wood to make a piece almost 32" just to say I did it. A tilt of swing removal of the tailstock would be nice, but.......... I do find that removing the tailstock on my midi lathe is a big advantage to work from the end.

I have mine in the lower position, and use a "Down-n-Out Tailstock Manager" by JT Turning Tools to move the tailstock out of the way when needed. Highly recommended.

Don,I've thought about making something like or just buying the down n out. Wasn't sure if there was enough room for it to swing and still have the extension in the lower position. Thanks for the information about that. Something to consider. One of the projects I do somewhat often is hollowing out flower vases and if I start with a blank that's somewhere around 18" long, the extension in the lower position makes it difficult to position myself facing the hole (not absolutely necessary) to see inside the opening & also to have my back in a more comfortable upright position. Going to try this new config for a vase and see if it works any better.

I had it in the lower position for five years, but never worked at that end. So I took it off and added a set of shelves in that area for my lathe accessories.

When I first installed my machine in DEC. '13, I put the bed extension in the lower position....... Still in the box on the shelf between the legs. The Black Friday price was too good to pass-up!

I had my 3520B for 4 years. I am embarrassed to say the extension and the bed of the lathe were strangers to each other. When I sold the lathe, the cylinder that was the riser for the tool post was still wrapped in the protective paper it arrived in. Now I have even more capacity and find myself working on a series of quite small hollow forms. Go figure!
    faust

Upper position, and love it there. Use several hollowing rigs and the bed length is great. Alignment of the ways is a major pain, so unlikely to switch it without a really strong incentive, as putting it back again would not be fun.

Bought the extension for my 3520B about a year ago, IIRC, and it is installed under a bench on the far side of the shop. I bought it to turn larger pieces off the end, but have been in a bit of a wood supply and turning drought and haven't had anything big enough to need it since I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Haddix View Post
    Upper position, and love it there. Use several hollowing rigs and the bed length is great. Alignment of the ways is a major pain, so unlikely to switch it without a really strong incentive, as putting it back again would not be fun.
    After using it in the upper position today, I believe that's where it's going to stay. Hollowed out a 18" blank and although the added length isn't necessary (my rig just fits that length on std. bed), I would like to move the headstock towards the center to get more its weight over the legs. Also might add a "pin" or two to the 3 bolts that hold it in place to add ridigity to the structure.

When I bought mine several years ago the extension came with it as part of a promotion. I did not install it but thought that since it was free I would probably eventually put it in the lower position to turn larger projects, then decided to turn a baseball bat for my grandson and it would not quite fit so I installed it in the upper position. That was probably 4 years ago and I have sill not had the need to lower it and doubt that I ever will.

Interesting thread on bed extension user experience. I'm a new turner but green turned about a dozen bowls. Being caught up in the vortex I purchased a nice 5/8" bowl gouge with a nice long handle and love it but at times the handle hit the lathe bed. So I thought I'd like to turn off the end of the lathe with the 18" extension. I just bought the materials to make my own extension for the lower mount position (found a great post here on how to make one). Now seeing that most like the extension in the upper position I'm wondering if buying or making a tailstock swing out would be best. This would allow moving the motor/spindle to the end with the tailstock out of the way and give the gouge handle free space.

Mike

If you are just using the PM3520 extension to support hollowing tools, or turn the occasional long spindle, it prevents you from working from the end of the lathe like God intended for sliding headstock lathes. Put it on the headstock end of the lathe - yes there are holes there. That way you can push the headstock back for setting up your hollowing rig or long spindle and still slide the headstock to the tailstock end and work comfortably there. Yes the bed is plenty heavy and will more than off set the weigh of the headstock when it is put on the extension. I'm always surprised when I learn sliding headstock lathe owners don't take advantage of that great feature when they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    If you are just using the PM3520 extension to support hollowing tools, or turn the occasional long spindle, it prevents you from working from the end of the lathe like God intended for sliding headstock lathes. Put it on the headstock end of the lathe - yes there are holes there. That way you can push the headstock back for setting up your hollowing rig or long spindle and still slide the headstock to the tailstock end and work comfortably there. Yes the bed is plenty heavy and will more than off set the weigh of the headstock when it is put on the extension. I'm always surprised when I learn sliding headstock lathe owners don't take advantage of that great feature when they can.
    Jason,

The 3 holes on the headstock side are not threaded as they are on the tailstock side. Not impossible to overcome but it's not easy peasy right out of the box. I'd disagree that putting the extension on tailstock side "prevents you from working from the end of the lathe." Why not? Only difference your not using the riser in the banjo. I suppose the machine could handle the weight of the headstock being out on the extension if you chose to do it that way but I'd rather have the headstock mass closer to the leg area and let them disperse any vibration. Hey, ask 12 turners how to do something and get 13 different answers.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Haddix View Post

When I move my extension to the upper level I support it on my hydraulic table, pump it up to the proper height install the bolts finger tight. Then I slide the banjo or the tailstock directly over the joint of the beds. When I set the clamping mechanism with the clamping ring on the joint it pulls the two beds into alignment. With the clamp set, I tighten the bolts.
    Member Illiana Woodturners