Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who knows the answer to the second post phenomenon?

Smile Who knows the answer to the second post phenomenon?

I have used several forums over the years and have noticed a phenomenon that I cannot explain. It's not universal, but it seems quite common. Why is it that so many times the first poster after the original poster's question doesn't know the answer yet still posts? Many times the second post is verbose and wandering, yet the poster still doesn't know the answer. Why do they post if they don't know the answer? (Can't wait to see the second post here. )

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I don't know how to answer that...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I don't know but I wish it would snow with it being so cold outside........

I don't know but i'm really enjoying these M&Ms. Peanut, not plain.

I love the store websites that allow you to ask questions. In response to a question like "how long does the battery last" there will invariably be replies like "I haven't used it yet, so I can't answer your question".

My theory is that the people think they are so important that they are doing the questioner a favor by acknowledging the question, even if they can't answer.

We 3 agree!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    I really don't have an answer, just a theory.

Sometimes a post gets near the bottom of the page.

Some may answer the OP just to bump it back to the top.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Could it sometimes be a well intended attempt to be polite? No, really. We occasionally get posts to which NOBODY responds. Maybe its a question weve answered 20 times before. Maybe its a really dumb question, a hard question, or its tone just rubbed the readers wrong. So somebody chimes in just to say ' hey guy, you arent being ignored'.

OTOH, it could just be the responder is looking for some attention.

Doesn't matter if it's not helpful. Some people just need to be seen, as it were.
    It happens on forums all over the net. Ticks me off.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    I have used several forums over the years and have noticed a phenomenon that I cannot explain. It's not universal, but it seems quite common.)
    Usually when you set the first post you are all excited about the job, but by the time you get to the second one you are probably worn out. That's why the second post is often slightly crooked - except I've never noticed this myself.

Lol, I've never noticed this phenomenon, but after observing a few threads, I think OP is on to something. Interesting!

I would have been perfectly happy living my entire life w/out reading the "toilet" thread...
    OTOH - had I not read it, I wouldn't know exactly why to avoid some European countries...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I like cake.

The cake is a lie.