Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upside down receptacles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Upside down receptacles?

In my wife's hospital room a few weeks ago I noticed these receptacles: I was always taught that the ground plug should be on the bottom. To me any other way just looks wrong. Hospitals often require one of the highest level of commercial work. 12 outlets and none of them being used! Please understand I am not slamming these U of M hospital specs, even though I am a Spartans fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-08-2015 at 6:02 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Years ago I remember them being installed that way.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

An electrician once told me that they should be that way. The thinking is that if something metal dropped on the plug it would hit the grounding lug first. But I think it looks weird too.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    An electrician once told me that they should be that way. The thinking is that if something metal dropped on the plug it would hit the grounding lug first. But I think it looks weird too.
    That's what I was told by my electrician.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Our hospitals and clinics have them installed that way. Partly for the reason Judson gave. The other reason is if the receptacle loosens, it is the ground pin which becomes exposed instead of the hot. There are specs on how much withdrawl force is required to remove them but they do get looser over time. I think the spec is that they should be tight enough that when the nurse unplugs the cord by yanking on it from across the room, the plug comes off the cord.

What kind of a room is it? There seem to be a lot of emergency power receptacles in one spot.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-08-2015 at 6:43 PM.

I once heard a radio show DIY host give some scenario where ground up would be better ,but I did not absorb much of
    the answer ,and he described it as pretty arcane stuff. Something about a fire and arcing out.

7. This thread brings back memories. It was 22 years ago that I built the house my wife and I occupy today. As general contractor/grunt I took on the electrical wiring. My wife still cringes every time she plugs something in. She had little faith in my abilities. However, among the 10,000 decisions that you consult each other on during construction, the results on this one still raise observant eyebrows. As I delved into stripping wire and installing outlets I drew a blank on this ground up/ground down question. Lacking Google, I called my beloved, who happen to work in a hospital, and asked her to look at the outlet closest to her and give me guidance. So there you have it. I can always tell guests who notice that the wiring in our house is "commercial" grade. Later, I heard that another reason hospitals do this is that if something gets loose inside the wall and falls down, crushing the metal receptacle box, it would contact the ground first.
    "I fish, therefor I am"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ezell View Post
    Later, I heard that another reason hospitals do this is that if something gets loose inside the wall and falls down, crushing the metal receptacle box, it would contact the ground first.
    If something falls down inside the wall, it would hit the grounded box first. Crushing through that, it would hit the plastic socket body itself. Crushing through that, I think you have bigger things to worry about than hitting a ground wire first.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    If something falls down inside the wall, it would hit the grounded box first. Crushing through that, it would hit the plastic socket body itself. Crushing through that, I think you have bigger things to worry about than hitting a ground wire first.
    I think they stopped suspending sand bags inside the walls back in about 65 or 70, so it should be moot anyhow.

I wish was there was an easy way to denote switch outlets when one plug is switched and the other is not. The house I recently bought was wired with the switch outlet on top and the non-switched outlet on the bottom. Common sense dictates you do the opposite as switched lamps and such are usually plugged in long term. My father replaced the receptacles and didn't switch the wiring. (He was the one who taught me the switched outlet goes on the bottom.) Now I want to change them, but it is about #1,000 on the list of things to finish in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I wish was there was an easy way to denote switch outlets when one plug is switched and the other is not. The house I recently bought was wired with the switch outlet on top and the non-switched outlet on the bottom. Common sense dictates you do the opposite as switched lamps and such are usually plugged in long term. My father replaced the receptacles and didn't switch the wiring. (He was the one who taught me the switched outlet goes on the bottom.) Now I want to change them, but it is about #1,000 on the list of things to finish in my house.
    Nah, I'd rather have the switched receptacle on top.

That way there is less of a chance that something plugged into the other receptacle (like a wall wart) will obstruct the switched receptacle.

I install all mine at 45 degrees...or is that 135 degrees?!?!

I read once on Mike Holt's forum that this topic is a banned from being discussed there. LOL!

Also, I think David Helm nailed it: it just looks correct to us humans to have two eyes over the mouth.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Nah, I'd rather have the switched receptacle on top.

That way there is less of a chance that something plugged into the other receptacle (like a wall wart) will obstruct the switched receptacle.
    My experience is that you don't end up using most of the switched outlets. A lamp, or two, is usually about it. It is a pain to put something in the upper outlet and then remember after it won't turn on that only the lower outlet is live. I suppose once you live in the house long enough you'll remember that only the lower outlets are live in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Yes - this is correct. Leave the building ASAP if this is happening.

Well, why are they so crooked ? I would not pay for that .