Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Upside down receptacles?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ezell View Post
    Later, I heard that another reason hospitals do this is that if something gets loose inside the wall and falls down, crushing the metal receptacle box, it would contact the ground first.
    If something falls down inside the wall, it would hit the grounded box first. Crushing through that, it would hit the plastic socket body itself. Crushing through that, I think you have bigger things to worry about than hitting a ground wire first.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    If something falls down inside the wall, it would hit the grounded box first. Crushing through that, it would hit the plastic socket body itself. Crushing through that, I think you have bigger things to worry about than hitting a ground wire first.
    I think they stopped suspending sand bags inside the walls back in about 65 or 70, so it should be moot anyhow.

I wish was there was an easy way to denote switch outlets when one plug is switched and the other is not. The house I recently bought was wired with the switch outlet on top and the non-switched outlet on the bottom. Common sense dictates you do the opposite as switched lamps and such are usually plugged in long term. My father replaced the receptacles and didn't switch the wiring. (He was the one who taught me the switched outlet goes on the bottom.) Now I want to change them, but it is about #1,000 on the list of things to finish in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I wish was there was an easy way to denote switch outlets when one plug is switched and the other is not. The house I recently bought was wired with the switch outlet on top and the non-switched outlet on the bottom. Common sense dictates you do the opposite as switched lamps and such are usually plugged in long term. My father replaced the receptacles and didn't switch the wiring. (He was the one who taught me the switched outlet goes on the bottom.) Now I want to change them, but it is about #1,000 on the list of things to finish in my house.
    Nah, I'd rather have the switched receptacle on top.

That way there is less of a chance that something plugged into the other receptacle (like a wall wart) will obstruct the switched receptacle.

I install all mine at 45 degrees...or is that 135 degrees?!?!

I read once on Mike Holt's forum that this topic is a banned from being discussed there. LOL!

Also, I think David Helm nailed it: it just looks correct to us humans to have two eyes over the mouth.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Nah, I'd rather have the switched receptacle on top.

That way there is less of a chance that something plugged into the other receptacle (like a wall wart) will obstruct the switched receptacle.
    My experience is that you don't end up using most of the switched outlets. A lamp, or two, is usually about it. It is a pain to put something in the upper outlet and then remember after it won't turn on that only the lower outlet is live. I suppose once you live in the house long enough you'll remember that only the lower outlets are live in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I read once on Mike Holt's forum that this topic is a banned from being discussed there. LOL!
    I think I can see why...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Also, I think David Helm nailed it: it just looks correct to us humans to have two eyes over the mouth.
    But why only two eyes? And how come teachers have eyes in the back of their heads?

In the design world, you either put a light fixture on the ceiling or you provide a switch receptacle. Either meets the Building Code for required lighting in the space. If you want a clean looking ceiling, you go with a switched outlet..... and then 10 years later the owner hires an Electrician to add a ceiling outlet for a ceiling fan with a light kit......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    In the design world, you either put a light fixture on the ceiling or you provide a switch receptacle. Either meets the Building Code for required lighting in the space. If you want a clean looking ceiling, you go with a switched outlet..... and then 10 years later the owner hires an Electrician to add a ceiling outlet for a ceiling fan with a light kit......
    <chuckle> For some odd reason, our new house has both in nearly every room. Even more surprising to me is there are hardly any ceiling lights installed... cost would have been, what, and extra $30-50/room?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

My experience is that you don't end up using most of the switched outlets. A lamp, or two, is usually about it. It is a pain to put something in the upper outlet and then remember after it won't turn on that only the lower outlet is live. I suppose once you live in the house long enough you'll remember that only the lower outlets are live in the living room.
    It is pretty simple to wire in/out the switched hot. A few years ago on a tip from a buddy, I started wiring all my rooms with /3 and made the red wire a switched hot. Now I can go to any outlet Mrs. Chris deems necessary to have a lamp at that can be switched or even return everything back to unswitched. Sitting here thinking, I have no idea if I made the top one or the bottom one switched.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The house I just bought and renovated had one bedroom with just a switched outlet. As part of the electrical work I put a ceiling light fixture in. My father helped me with it and he kept the switched outlet so now I have two switches instead of just one. I can't imagine ever wanting a switched outlet in that bedroom.

I have switched outlets in the living room and I do use them for a lamp since the ceiling light fixture glares off my plasma TV.

Blog Entries
    Sitting here thinking, I have no idea if I made the top one or the bottom one switched.
    Ask Mrs. Chris, I bet she knows.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The house I just bought and renovated had one bedroom with just a switched outlet. As part of the electrical work I put a ceiling light fixture in. My father helped me with it and he kept the switched outlet so now I have two switches instead of just one. I can't imagine ever wanting a switched outlet in that bedroom.

I have switched outlets in the living room and I do use them for a lamp since the ceiling light fixture glares off my plasma TV.
    Every room in our house (except the bathrooms) have combination switched and unswitched outlets. The switched ones are on the bottom and the unswitched on the top. You will get used to it being the opposite Brian or you can rewire them when the other 999 things to do are done. In the end, I do think having a switched outlet in the bedroom is good for table lamps for example. The overhead lamp is not pleasant for nighttime laying in bed reading, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Yes - this is correct. Leave the building ASAP if this is happening.

Now what?

OCD folks, don't let your head explode!

recepmod.jpg