Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: unisaw, I am going to look at Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I got the saw, the table top needs cleaned, it's a little rusty but not bad, something to work.
    Try Barkeeper Friend works great on removing rust.

The only thing I would think is the back rail is just extra support for the extension table.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    You are correct, it's nice to have the angle to help support the crosscut table but not required. You could always buy a piece of 2" X 2-1/2" angle iron and make your own.

I made my outfeed table out of melamine covered particle board and it has stood up well. Make sure you have a good frame under it to keep it from sagging.

Congrats on the Uni. I love mine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Probably the last saw you will need, you did well. I have a Beismeyer fence on my 1978 Unisaw ,the rear angle bar supports the right side extension table. I went out to the shop, rear bar is the same length as the front.These fence systems were a direct replacement for many saws and greatly increased repeatable accuracy . Congrats on a great purchase !

Ok I think I have a piece of angle iron in my barn, I am going to the store shortly to look for the top, I have Hardwood at home to use for frame.
    Last edited by cody michael; 01-10-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks what what I intend is to keep it for a long time, I would consider a saw stop but that's 10 times what I paid for this unisaw!

Thanks for info on the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ticknor View Post
    Probably the last saw you will need, you did well. I have a Beismeyer fence on my 1978 Unisaw ,the rear angle bar supports the right side extension table. I went out to the shop, rear bar is the same length as the front.These fence systems were a direct replacement for many saws and greatly increased repeatable accuracy . Congrats on a great purchase !

I moved this machine twice using a landscaper-type trailer (very low to the ground). It was not necessary to dismantle anything or to put it on its side. I bought mine 25 years ago, used, USA manufactured, and it is still perfect.

My wood Uni table is particle board with Formica on it. Download a Uni manual and it probably shows how it is made.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

the angle and blade height gears need cleaned, they kinda squeak or squeal, is there some type of lubricant that works best? i know I don't want anything that could become sticky. I have "glidecoat" would that work? or is there someone else that would be better?

The saw came with very long rails, I this 82 inches, I can't imagine every needing to cut anything over 48 inches, I think my current saw is about 50-60 inches is there any issue with cutting the rails down? I am thinking of around the 60 inch range, as that is what would work best for my mobile base.

Does anyone have pictures or plans of how you attach fence to the table saw? How do you make sure it is exactly right height?

The saw came with very long rails, I this 82 inches, I can't imagine every needing to cut anything over 48 inches, I think my current saw is about 50-60 inches is there any issue with cutting the rails down? I am thinking of around the 60 inch range, as that is what would work best for my mobile base.

Does anyone have pictures or plans of how you attach fence to the table saw? How do you make sure it is exactly right height?
    The rails are not all on one side of the blade. Some of the rail extends over to the left side of the blade so you get about 52" of cut on the right side. The tube is longer than 52" on the right side because the fence has to extend out further than 52".

Go to the Biesemeyer site and I believe they have instructions for attaching the angle iron and the tube to the saw. It's not difficult.

Mike

[Use a dry lubricant on the bearing surfaces inside the saw. There was another thread where people made suggestions for the lubricant but I don't remember.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

the angle and blade height gears need cleaned, they kinda squeak or squeal, is there some type of lubricant that works best? i know I don't want anything that could become sticky. I have "glidecoat" would that work? or is there someone else that would be better?

Clean the dust and any crud from the gears and use Johnsons Paste Wax on them. An old tooth brush works well for this.

I bought a piece of granite for the extension table on my Delta hybrid saw. I would have used it with the Unisaw that replaced the hybrid except the granite piece wasn't wide enough (and the Unisaw came with a table). The granite stays flat and is impervious to anything spilled on it (looks pretty spiffy, too).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McCluney View Post
    I bought a piece of granite for the extension table on my Delta hybrid saw. I would have used it with the Unisaw that replaced the hybrid except the granite piece wasn't wide enough (and the Unisaw came with a table). The granite stays flat and is impervious to anything spilled on it (looks pretty spiffy, too).
    Where did you buy it from? How much did it cost? That sounds like a cool idea

I got it from a tile store that sold flooring and countertops. It cost $125, but that was ~10 years ago.

Tablesaw extension cabinet top 1.jpg
    I kept the cabinet and granite top when I sold the saw - I replaced the leveling feet with casters and it rolls under the Unisaw's extension. I roll it out when I need the extra work surface. It's tempting to replace the Unisaw's extension with granite.