Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Upper/Lower Wheel Alignment Problem

Bandsaw Upper/Lower Wheel Alignment Problem

My new Laguna 14-12 is having blade problems. At least, I think it's the blade and not the saw. The 14-12 is a very good band saw overall except for an upper to lower wheel blade alignment problem

When the 3/4" and 1/2" Laguna blades are installed and centered on the upper wheel, the blades are aligned to the far left on the lower wheel. However, when 1/4" blades (Laguna and Lenox) are installed, they are centered on both the upper and lower wheel.

Following directions from Laguna support (excellent customer support, BTW), I adjusted the lower wheel so that the 3/4" and 1/2" blades were centered on the bottom wheel. But then the 1/4" blades were aligned to the far right on the lower wheel!

This upper/lower wheel alignment problem existed with the original rubber tires and is still there after installing new Carter urethane tires.

This Sunday, I'm going to install all of my blades on the 14-12 floor model at the local Rockler store where I bought it to see if it's the blades or the saw. Have you experienced this before? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. The Carter urethane tires are EXCELLENT. When i got the 14-12, it had a lot of vibration and noise. After installing the tires and using a dowel to stretch them, virtually all of the noise and vibration is gone! Highly recommended.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

I would think you'd have to center every blade differently when you change size. At least, I've had to on all my bandsaws when I go from one size to the next.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

David,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you are correct - each blade size has to be centered on the top wheel. I always do that with every blade change. However that's not the issue...

The issue is that, after centering the blade on the top wheel, the wider blades are not centered on the bottom wheel. And if the bottom wheel is adjusted to center the wider blades on the bottom wheel, the narrower blades are no longer centered. That's what is perplexing.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

I think you should go back to ground zero. Take the upper and lower wheel covers off or open them up if that's how they work. Then take the table off so that you can put a straight edge across both wheels. You may have to adjust the tilt on the upper wheel to get it parallel with the bottom one - do so if required. If your wheels are in correct alignment the straight edge should touch the upper and lower portion of the rim on both wheels. If they are out of alignment the straight edge might touch only one edge of the second wheel when it touches both edges on the other, and in the worst case it won't touch the second wheel at all. If the straight edge doesn't touch all four edges of the wheels you will need to shim one or the other wheel until they do. Check this alignment on both sides of the arbors because the upper one could be skewed out of parallel in the horizontal direction, too, or at least it can be if the saw is a two piece design like my cast iron 14" Delta. Once they are in alignment on both sides of the arbors, what some folks call "coplaner", blades of any width should run on the center of both wheels, though the wheel tilt may have to be set differently.

John

I guess I misunderstood, Dan. I just looked at my 14 SUV but I have the 1" RK blade on it and that takes up the entire wheel and is centered on both with the teeth just hanging off the front. Like you, I have found the Laguna service to be excellent.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I think you should go back to ground zero. Take the upper and lower wheel covers off or open them up if that's how they work. Then take the table off so that you can put a straight edge across both wheels. You may have to adjust the tilt on the upper wheel to get it parallel with the bottom one - do so if required. If your wheels are in correct alignment the straight edge should touch the upper and lower portion of the rim on both wheels. If they are out of alignment the straight edge might touch only one edge of the second wheel when it touches both edges on the other, and in the worst case it won't touch the second wheel at all. If the straight edge doesn't touch all four edges of the wheels you will need to shim one or the other wheel until they do. Check this alignment on both sides of the arbors because the upper one could be skewed out of parallel in the horizontal direction, too, or at least it can be if the saw is a two piece design like my cast iron 14" Delta. Once they are in alignment on both sides of the arbors, what some folks call "coplaner", blades of any width should run on the center of both wheels, though the wheel tilt may have to be set differently.

John
    John,

Very good suggestion and makes sense. I'll have to check when I get home, but I believe that the wheels are set back from the edge of the upper and lower wheel housings. If they are, then there's no way I can get a straight edge on them.

Thanks,

Dan.

When I had my Rikon 18, and upped the tension (have a gage), on a really wide blade, it pulled the wheel out somehow, and I had to adjust the bottom wheel some. I did not call Rikon, but the forces were so great (necessarily so or not), the way the geometry worked, I had to loosen the bolts @ the bottom wheel, and that sure enough fixed the problem. Please note that I did NOT want to mess with those bolts, but saw I had no choice.

It's been a few years, and I can't recite the exact sequence of events, but that is what led me to research beam/column strength, and get the MM-16.

Alex Snodgrass, seems like a real pro (YouTube video) says please, please, do not mess with the wheel alignment, that 'coplanar' is more of less a myth......I don't know. He says call the manufacturer, which you did.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I do not even look at the alignment on the lower wheel. Does it really matter?
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Gentlemen, I too do not like to mess with the lower wheel alignment. I did it only at the direction of Laguna support and to resolve this issue. There are four adjustment nuts - two vertical and two horizontal in a cross configuration. The adjustment nuts on the lower wheel act like the alignment knob on the upper wheel. The only ones I adjusted were the vertical nuts to tilt the wheel vertically. (Never mess with horizontal ones.)

One thing I have to check to see is to see if reducing the blade tension changes the alignment of the lower wheel. I.e. that the issue may not be a bad blade or the width of the blade, but is related to the amount of tension on the blade.

Thanks,

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
    John,

Very good suggestion and makes sense. I'll have to check when I get home, but I believe that the wheels are set back from the edge of the upper and lower wheel housings. If they are, then there's no way I can get a straight edge on them.

Thanks,

Dan.
    You can still check the alignment, it will just take a little more work. Take a piece of plywood with a nice straight edge that's long enough to cover both wheels, then cut it out as required so that it will clear where the wheel housings get in the way. Now check the alignment as I described.

I almost mentioned Alex Snodgrass's recommendation about not checking wheel alignment, but decided not to. His approach is naive. It would be fine if all saws were shipped with proper wheel alignment and stayed that way forever, but neither is true. You've read how another poster was able to resolve his problems by aligning the wheels on his saw. Had he followed Mr. Snodgrass's approach, he would still be looking in all the wrong places.

If you see this through and get the wheels running coplaner, I predict it will cut beautifully straight if you put a nice new blade on it that has been sharpened and set equally on both sides. And that's worth the effort right there. Good luck.

John

On crowned wheels that are nearly coplanar, when the blade is centered on the top wheel, it will be front of center on the bottom wheel. The wider the blade, the more front of center it will ride on the bottom wheel.

Can you put your bottom wheel back in the original location, and take a picture of the 1/4" and 1/2" blades on the bottom wheel when they're centered on the top wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    I do not even look at the alignment on the lower wheel. Does it really matter?
    Ditto. I set the blade to center on the upper, and never worry where it is on the lower.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have also but only once messed with the nuts on the lower wheel of a bandsaw. This was/is my smaller saw, the Rikon 10" saw. The lower wheel had over time been pulled out of alignment and was tilted "up" from bottom to top. I had to adjust the nuts to bring it back into alignment. Somewhere in there I think was an instruction to loosen the horizontals 1/4 turn just to get some ability to adjust the verticals properly....then to go back that same exact 1/4" the other way on the horizontals to bring them back to tight. Please look at your instructions before doing it that way because I might not be remembering that correctly. What I do remember for certain is that with the lower wheel tilted or canted up a blade would not even stay on the wheels for more than three or maybe four turns and would have gone completely off the wheels.

So is that what is happening to the OP? Is the blade coming clean off the wheels in a few turns because the lower is canted at this point.

Also I am struggling with why the blade width would have an impact. If the lower wheel was canted and that was the issue, wouldn't the blade come off the wheels in just a few turns regardless of the width?

Slightly off topic....I have been toying with the idea of buying and installing the Carter tires...not because I see the Laguna 14 12 tires as inherently flawed but because so many report eliminating so much noise and vibration making just that change. Was it much of a process. I think I read somewhere that the wheels absolutely most come off the saw to do it. Is that correct?

Blade alignment can change as the width changes because the tension is different. It takes 2X as much force to tension a 1/2" blade as a 1/4" one. That change in force can (indeed, does) cause the frame to bend. How much it bends depends upon how robust the saw is; with my 14" CI Delta it will deflect a lot if you try to add more force than about the standard 1/2" setting with a high tension Iturra spring. If you add more tension than that you can move the upper blade guides out of alignment with the lower. None of that causes the blade to go out of alignment with the wheels, however, unless the wheels don't lie in the same plane, or very close to it. If they aren't coplaner, and especially if they are off in both axes, the alignment gets worse the higher the spring tension. Whether that causes the blade to walk off the wheels depends upon how far out of alignment they are, but it sure won't track or cut true in any case.

Ever ride a bicycle with the wheels out of alignment?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You can still check the alignment, it will just take a little more work. Take a piece of plywood with a nice straight edge that's long enough to cover both wheels, then cut it out as required so that it will clear where the wheel housings get in the way. Now check the alignment as I described.

I almost mentioned Alex Snodgrass's recommendation about not checking wheel alignment, but decided not to. His approach is naive. It would be fine if all saws were shipped with proper wheel alignment and stayed that way forever, but neither is true. You've read how another poster was able to resolve his problems by aligning the wheels on his saw. Had he followed Mr. Snodgrass's approach, he would still be looking in all the wrong places.

If you see this through and get the wheels running coplaner, I predict it will cut beautifully straight if you put a nice new blade on it that has been sharpened and set equally on both sides. And that's worth the effort right there. Good luck.

John
    John,

The plywood straight edge won't work. That said, it might work if I chopped out part of the center portions. I'll give that a try this weekend.

Thanks,

Dan.