Thread: Marvin the Martian

Marvin the Martian

image.jpgSo one day I am watching cartoons and looked at Marvin and had an epiphany! I told myself that I could turn almost every piece of him on the lathe, (The Iludium Q-36 Space Modulator will come later)

i started this back in late July, and first turned the sphere for his head, (my first attempt at turning a sphere). The woods are Douglas Fir I believe, (a friend had provided some chunks) I must admit I did use a store bought shoe brush cut down, but all other pieces at least started on the lathe. Transit Dyes provide the color punch and I plan on coating Marvin with some spray shellac.

A lot of late nights since Christmas as I was trying to keep my mind focused on something other than my father passing away on the 23rd. I did get to show him the head, helmet and body prior to his passing and know that he has been watching me complete it these last few days.

More pictures on the entire process will be posted after I finish him, but wanted to get some comments on what others thought, and also whether the spray shellac is a good choice over the dye.
    Attached Images Attached Images

haha.. wow.. you did it .. That is so cool ..

Blair, sorry to hear about your Dad, but I sure am glad to hear he was able to see your work - very well done! Just be aware that both Transtint dyes and shellac are alcohol soluble. It is possible, though unlikely, that some areas could bleed color into adjoining areas. You might consider Krylon acrylic spray or even spray poly, though I prefer the Krylon.

Very COOL piece.

Red
    RED

5. Love the whimsical nature of this........brings back memories from many years ago! Nice work to do this on a lathe, and no doubt you should be proud. Condolences on the passing of your Dad.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Your skill and patience to complete something like this is incredible. Nice job Blair.

Where's his ray gun? HAHAHAHA, he is one of my favorites and it looks like him.

Love the imagination!! I agree with John, go with the Krylon acrylic spray.

Sorry to hear about your Dad...
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

this is awesome!

I love whimsical projects!

Wish I'd thought of that. Amazing and well done.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Love it, just really and truly a very enjoyable piece.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.