Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding a 1" wide bandsaw blade

Folding a 1" wide bandsaw blade

I just got a band saw that will handle large blades and bought a 1" blade for resawing. When I take that blade off the saw, is it safe to fold it into three loops. I can fold small blades into three loops but a big blade looks like it could be tough to get to fold up.

I'm worried about damage to my hands while attempting this. What do you say? Is it a difficult or dangerous task? Or am I worried about nothing?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Folding up is not so bad Mike ,I wear glove when I unfold my wider blades ESP after they are sharpend.So my larger band saw takes a 14 foot blade,It's a big circle when it's open.I try not to let it drag on the ground.
    What new saw did you get?

Mike it's a chore I gave up even with gloves on and hanging on the wall
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Folding up is not so bad Mike ,I wear glove when I unfold my wider blades ESP after they are sharpend.So my larger band saw takes a 14 foot blade,It's a big circle when it's open.I try not to let it drag on the ground.
    What new saw did you get?
    It's a Mini Max 20". The story of my getting it is here. And here's a picture of the finished product.
    Bandsaw04.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Mike it's a chore I gave up even with gloves on and hanging on the wall
    I think I'm going to take your advice, John. I'll just hang it on a peg next to the band saw. Unfolding the 1" (safely) was difficult enough.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My sawmill blades are wider than that and I can easily fold them up into 3 loops. I always wear gloves.

I have 160" 1-1/2" on my bandsaw. They come coiled when you buy them new. Just wear heavy gloves and go slow. The longer the blade the easier it is.

I have a 24" Agazzani, with some 1" blades... it's easy to fold them, yours should be too.

Give it a try, I bet you'll laugh that you were worried it wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gold View Post
    I have a 24" Agazzani, with some 1" blades... it's easy to fold them, yours should be too.

Give it a try, I bet you'll laugh that you were worried it wouldn't work.
    Okay, I'll wear gloves and give it a try. I don't have any problem with the narrower band saw blades.

Mike

Anyone know the trick to doing 4 loops on a blade? I have some that come in four loops from timber-wolf, and I cant seem to figure how to re-fold them.
    Scott Loven

Mike

It can be easily folded back into three loops, but if you have the space, just hang it on the wall.

I ended up with a nice little "dig" in my cheek once from "unfolding" my 1" resaw blade. Little bugger got away from me. I think that's more of the reason why I leave them unfolded.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Mountain Tool Works View Post
    Anyone know the trick to doing 4 loops on a blade? I have some that come in four loops from timber-wolf, and I cant seem to figure how to re-fold them.
    Fold it into 3 - then "tuck up" two of the loops to make 'em smaller and one bigger loop. Then fold that loop once more to make the 4th.

I don't have any problem folding a 1-1/8" resaw king carbide tipped blade that's 131-1/2" long. The way I fold them, no stepping and hardly any muscle is needed. I don't even need gloves. I just grab it like a hoola hoop (only i'm standing outside of it) with my hands at around 10 and 2 o'clock, facing the corner of my work bench. Teeth can be either up or down, i usually do teeth up. Hook the blade on the underside corner of the workbench and slowly walk forward, it'll naturally guide your hands upwards and together as they naturally twist. You'll reach a point where it almost wants to fold itself, just a little twist and bringing your hands together and you're good to go - it'll just coil right up on top of hte bench - no muss, no fuss. No white knuckles, no terrifying "spring tension" waiting to uncoil on you. Very controlled.

I learned that method from Graham Blackburn at a woodworking show about 10 years ago - I never stress about folding a blade. Unfolding ... that's easy - put on a pair of leather gloves and take it to the back yard ... start the unfold and toss it into the grass to let it do it's snake charming well away from you! :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I don't think you can do 4 loops...you can only fold it into an odd number of loops. Maybe I'll try to get 4...3 is easy and 5 is easy...never tried 4. See Post 18 in this thread where I was able to do 5.

Anyway, Mike, 1" is no problem...same as your narrower blades.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-11-2015 at 1:41 AM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Another Italian stallion. Nice addition to the shop.

This is how I do it. I routinely fold and unfold 1" blades like this. I can't deal with all of the Rube Goldberg methods....step on this here, hold that hand there, put the other hand on your hip, turn around 5 times, twist your foot that way, etc etc. This method is simple. Wear gloves the first couple of time. It will boost your confidence until you discover what a non-event this is.

That video is helpful, John. It's not the way I do a thinner band saw blade but it looks like it will work well for a wider one. Thanks for posting that.

Mike