Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folding a 1" wide bandsaw blade

Mike, I swear, it's really easy once u see it done. I fold my 1 1/8 resaw king like that.

I fold them all like that. I don't even bother hooking it under my belt. Maybe I would for truly gigantic blades, but for 1" blades and under, just a quick flick of the wrist is all it really needs. The guy in the video makes it look a lot scarier than it really is, like he has to hold back this scary snake, ready to uncoil and grab you, but it never felt that way when I actually did it. It felt very controlled and very safe.

The video is VERY helpful. I have a tip which may be of interest to some. I don't use twist-ties to keep the band curled up. Instead I use what are called (sometimes) "Banker Clips". They come in various sizes, from teeny tiny small (for 1/8th inch blades) to giant ones (for 1 inch blades). Two or three per blade and the blade is very secure and the clips go on very easily. I tie a string to the clips the first time I use a set to keep them together. That way if you drop one it can easily be found, which the twist-ties can't.

I also use banker clips when installing a blade. I locate the blade on the top wheel, and clamp it into place with large banker clips - not the biggest, but ones that fit comfortably. Then I put the blade on the lower tire, and retain it with a single clip. THEN I raise the blade tension lever - my saw, a Powermatic PWBS-14CS came with the Carter guides and tensioning system built-in. Remove the clips, give it a spin once by hand, just to check the tracking, close it up, and turn it on.

It works like a charm every time. It used to take forever to change a blade - now I can almost do it in my sleep.

The banker clips - both the blade keepers and the blade mounting clips - stay neatly out of the way when I stick them to a magnet strip bought in the home supply store - it was sold to put knives on in the kitchen.

>>>Je Suis Charlie<<<
    Last edited by Edward Oleen; 01-14-2015 at 4:08 PM. Reason: sp;llling

I took the 1" blade off the band saw yesterday and folded it as shown in the video and it folded very easily. Thanks, John, for posting that.

I guess I was worried about nothing.

Mike

[It was harder to get the blade off the bandsaw than to fold it]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-25-2015 at 1:16 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I just got a band saw that will handle large blades and bought a 1" blade for resawing. When I take that blade off the saw, is it safe to fold it into three loops. I can fold small blades into three loops but a big blade looks like it could be tough to get to fold up.

I'm worried about damage to my hands while attempting this. What do you say? Is it a difficult or dangerous task? Or am I worried about nothing?

Mike
    Hi Mike, I fold those and the 1 1/4" for my bandmill without issue.............Regards, Rod.

I found these videos before your post.

They showed how to fold/unfold the blade.

and a different method to unfold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WUiEJEZMT

Above all, wear GLOVES..
    Jerry

Cable cuffs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I just got a band saw that will handle large blades and bought a 1" blade for resawing. When I take that blade off the saw, is it safe to fold it into three loops. I can fold small blades into three loops but a big blade looks like it could be tough to get to fold up.

I'm worried about damage to my hands while attempting this. What do you say? Is it a difficult or dangerous task? Or am I worried about nothing?

Mike

I have folded my 131.5" 1 inch carbide tipped resaw blade using the techniques outlined above. I now leave it unfolded. When folded the diameter is less than the diameter of my bandsaw wheels, and since large width blades tend to fail from being stressed continuously by the relatively small radius of most bandsaw wheels, my thought is unfolded might just add to its useable life span.

I found using the "cable cuffs" at HD to fasten folded blades is very convenient and quick. Being orange, they are also easier to spot when taken off compared to wire ties.

The one that worked most easily for me was the one where you put the bottom of the loop under your foot and something soft like wood and then just folded it. I should learn the other methods. I use 175 inch blades in my saw.

Is it really advisable to store blades this way, long term? I now they're shipped this way, but there really isn't any other option for shipping.

Do blade manufacturers recommend this?

It's easy enough to hang them on the wall, behind the band saw, no?

I don't see what kind of stress the blades are put under from being stored this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Fold it into 3 - then "tuck up" two of the loops to make 'em smaller and one bigger loop. Then fold that loop once more to make the 4th.

I don't have any problem folding a 1-1/8" resaw king carbide tipped blade that's 131-1/2" long. The way I fold them, no stepping and hardly any muscle is needed. I don't even need gloves. I just grab it like a hoola hoop (only i'm standing outside of it) with my hands at around 10 and 2 o'clock, facing the corner of my work bench. Teeth can be either up or down, i usually do teeth up. Hook the blade on the underside corner of the workbench and slowly walk forward, it'll naturally guide your hands upwards and together as they naturally twist. You'll reach a point where it almost wants to fold itself, just a little twist and bringing your hands together and you're good to go - it'll just coil right up on top of hte bench - no muss, no fuss. No white knuckles, no terrifying "spring tension" waiting to uncoil on you. Very controlled.

I learned that method from Graham Blackburn at a woodworking show about 10 years ago - I never stress about folding a blade. Unfolding ... that's easy - put on a pair of leather gloves and take it to the back yard ... start the unfold and toss it into the grass to let it do it's snake charming well away from you! :P
    I tried many different methods to get my 1" blade coiled and this was by far the easiest and most under control. Thanks.

This is an old thread. Still, I fold/unfold a 1" Carbide Woodmaster CT. This video is the same method I use ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=fold...id:ZFAPniN2zrk

Regards from Perth

Derek

It can be a bit tricky. My first try folding a 1" x 240" blade was short of perfect, just a slight nick.
    Gloves are a must!
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC