Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extending the rip capacity on a Ridgid R4511

Extending the rip capacity on a Ridgid R4511

I have a Ridgid R4511 granite top table saw which I've been using for years. I know that a lot of people don't like the fence or rails that came with the saw but I am fine with the fence system in general. However, I would like to move the fence rail to the right, for a few reasons:

1. Increase the rip capacity to the right of the blade.
    2. Make the rails flush with the left side of the saw so that I can stop bruising my hip.
    3. I want to add a nice extension table to the right with drawers underneath to stow blades, featherboards, etc.

The front rail extends about 9" past the left side of the table and I would like to move the whole rail to the right to make that flush. This would give me about 40"+ to the right of the blade. That would be sufficient.

The problem is that the front rail is a two piece design and, if the rail is moved to the right, the right half of the rail will be unsupported because the joint in the rail would fall right about where the angle iron ends.

I don't really have a lot of time to dedicate to this. Pre-made bolt on solutions would be preferred but I also don't want to put a new $400 fence system on a $400 saw either. I guess I am looking for the quickest and easiest solution.

Any thoughts?

Mike,I put a Delta T2 fence on my 4511 and have been more than well pleased. Unlike yours, my original fence would not hold its place so it got deep sixed and replaced. I'm have 29" right of blade with both front & rear rails being flush with the left side of the table. After a quick look at mine, there's about 12" that you could slide to the right and still put up the 2nd table bolt hole. So you could reach your 40" right of blade request. Note, you would lose 1 bolt on the left side of blade and need to drill new holes in the rails to line them up to the table. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was 129 or 149. Quick search today said 200 bucks. At that time the T2 was about the cheapest quality fence replacement for the 4511 fence.

I just bought (2 days ago) a Craftsman 351221160 TS, which I believe shares many parts with the R4511- both are built by Orion/Steel City. Mine has a one piece guide rail- 2"x3" rectangular tube-~$85 on Sears Parts Direct, which is supposed to be compatible. Google "R4511 fence upgrade" for more info. Alternatively, you might find a local metal supply house that can get rectangular tubular steel of appropriate dimensions for you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Mike,I put a Delta T2 fence on my 4511 and have been more than well pleased. Unlike yours, my original fence would not hold its place so it got deep sixed and replaced. I'm have 29" right of blade with both front & rear rails being flush with the left side of the table. After a quick look at mine, there's about 12" that you could slide to the right and still put up the 2nd table bolt hole. So you could reach your 40" right of blade request. Note, you would lose 1 bolt on the left side of blade and need to drill new holes in the rails to line them up to the table. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was 129 or 149. Quick search today said 200 bucks. At that time the T2 was about the cheapest quality fence replacement for the 4511 fence.
    Hmmm...

It looks like the Delta T2 fence is similar to the ridgid. I'm wondering if I can just buy just the Delta T2 front tube, mount it on my existing angle rail, and use the ridgid fence.

Quote Originally Posted by John Donhowe View Post
    I just bought (2 days ago) a Craftsman 351221160 TS, which I believe shares many parts with the R4511- both are built by Orion/Steel City. Mine has a one piece guide rail- 2"x3" rectangular tube-~$85 on Sears Parts Direct, which is supposed to be compatible. Google "R4511 fence upgrade" for more info. Alternatively, you might find a local metal supply house that can get rectangular tubular steel of appropriate dimensions for you. Good luck!
    I looked at the Craftsman fence but it looks like the fence assembly is no longer available and, by the time you add the rails and tube, it gets pricey.

I've been thinking about getting the tube from a metal supplier but I am so busy right now that I don't really have the time (or the desire) to MacGyver this thing. Though, it may end up being the only feasible option.
    - Mike

I lucked out and got a Delta T2 on Ebay for $85 including shipping. I think it was a store return as it had a few scratches, missing bolts, ect. Once I got it installed it is so incredibly mucho grande better than the old set up. I did move the front rail to the right and had to shim the new tube up from the origional mounting angle iron. Makes the R4511 a really great saw.

I'm keeping my eye out on Craigslist and eBay. Will your Ridgid fence work with the T2 rail?

I had that same saw and it's worth putting a little effort into getting the fence the way you want it. Mine did everything I ever asked of it. Great saw. If your saw is a little on the older side I hope you had the arbor replaced during the recall. Post some pics when you get the fence all together. Good luck.

Red
    RED

Mike-
    The two fences work at a different height so you couldn't use both. The Delta fence is much more substantial and accurate so beside the use of jigs I made for the old fence, I don't have any reason to use the old fence. I had been watching for a long time on ebay and craigs list before this one popped up. Good luck!

Can you just buy a piece of steel tube stock from a welding supply or steel supply house, and add that?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

FYI - Check the fence scale sticker for accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Can you just buy a piece of steel tube stock from a welding supply or steel supply house, and add that?
    I no longer own a 4511 saw, but on mine when I had it, I noticed a pretty huge inaccuracy of the stick on measurement scale that the fence reads. Over the entire length of it's 24-30" reading, mine was off probably a good 3/32" or so.

I scraped mine off and applied a metallic Starret scale to correct it.

JT

11. I moved mine to the right and now have 49" plus of rip capacity and never looked back since March 2009. I have never found this fence to be lacking in anything I did on the saw and didn't see any advantage of converting it to a Biesemeyer style fence.

7-4-11 001.JPG

Since the Ridgid granite table is thicker than the standard table saw, I used the origional Ridgid angle iron and sandwiched a 3/8" piece of oak between the angle iron and the Delta tube. I drilled out holes in the angle iron to match the threaded Delta tube holes.

Checkout the Vega Pro 50 on Amazon. I love mine. It's great. I believe it's a direct bolt on.

Thanks for all the replies and information, fellas.

I ended up selling the Ridgid and buying a used Grizzly G1023SL.

It was looking like I was going to have to spend a couple hundred into modifying the Ridgid, so instead I just put that money towards a more powerful saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and information, fellas.

I ended up selling the Ridgid and buying a used Grizzly G1023SL.

It was looking like I was going to have to spend a couple hundred into modifying the Ridgid, so instead I just put that money towards a more powerful saw.
    Have you fired it up yet? I think you're going to love that upgrade! Congrats.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....