Thread: Trent Bosch Visualizer

Trent Bosch Visualizer

I spent last week Saturday at Dan Bailey's playing with his visualizer made by Trent. Dan is having a blast with it and quite frankly he doesn't need the tool for hollowing, he is very skilled. I can say the tool is a lot of fun. It assists in the hollowing but doesn't take any of the creative side out of the process. To me there is no difference in looking at the visualizer screen versus looking across the profile (on the outside of a form) rather than the cutting edge while making a cut. You can't see the cutting edge inside a vessel anyway so why not look at a screen to see where your cutter is on the inside.

The tool is solid and has the ability to hold several different sized tools 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and maybe more. It is extremely easy to use and moves on the articulating arm effortlessly. It is also very easy to set up since it uses the lathes banjo. Dan uses magnets on his screen rather than the mounts that came with it and they work great. Leave the screen set up and unplug and remove the tool and keep on turning. It couldn't be more simple and user friendly.

As I was using the tool it occurred to me that anyone who teaches hollowing to students (even if the students desire is to learn free hand hollowing) is foolish to not use this tool to start them out. It helps so much to see where the cutter is (builds confidence) and then the student can concentrate on the feel of the cut and the order in which to cut. In addition it forces the turner/student to place the cutter in the proper position for hollowing. What a learning and teaching tool. I think, if your a hollow vessel turner, that once you use this tool you will say why do I want to free hand or use a laser. It is that comfortable to use. If you ever get a chance to use one, take it and I think you will come to the same conclusions.

In conclusion I have no affiliation with Trent's business. I do know Trent as we work together for our annual symposium and he belongs to our club. I plan on purchasing this tool when I can scrape together the pennies to do so. It is awesome and fun to use.

I have heard of them, and though I don't do much hollowing, I will check it out. Trent is one of the demonstrators at the up coming Oregon Woodturning Symposium in March.

robo hippy

I've seen the video and it sure is impressive. Didn't see any pricing info on the JT site so I don't know if it's a 200 or 2,000 dollar gismo but certain is pretty cool tool.

Trent's new tool is NOT the same as JT Tools product. They are similar except that you write on the screen to mark the cutter for Trent's set up and JT Tools' used a computer to draw the outline. The latter is more expensive.

I have looked at both and Trent's hollowing ring is interesting. A different approach and according to Trent, it is a helping tool to get people used to the motion needed to hollow and possibly go full hand hollowing. I do like the price and the ease of setup. Once height is established for your lathe, a post collar makes it as simple as sticking it into the banjo.

JT Tools have their "Gizmo" articulated hollowing rig and I must disclose that I own one and really like it. The smooth motion on all axis' is the closest to hand hollowing I have found (as far as no resistance and free range of motion). Their video part attaches to this unit (or I would guess any hollowing rig).

For either company, the video deal.... while kinda neat to look at, I personally don't have a use for it and would prefer to have my eyes on the piece (with or without a laser) to monitor the opening, if nothing else. But that is just me I suppose!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Bonertz View Post
    I plan on purchasing this tool when I can scrape together the pennies to do so. It is awesome and fun to use.
    Your next to last sentence is the key, it takes a lot of pennies which for me is a no go. I am very happy with my laser. That being said I can see how this equipment, which ever brand you like, could take some of the stress out of hollowing. I guess I have done enough that I am happy with the equipment I have and so is my budget. However I am certainly not against anyone getting the equipment that they desire or anything that makes turning more fun for them.

Just came back from the Florida Symposium and saw Trent and his Visualizer. the Visualizer is a $650 add-on to his $350 Stabilizer which is an interesting variant on the articulated arm type hollowers. Unlike articulated arms like the Monster, you hold the tool and handle just as you would a normal hand held tool. The articulated arm removes the need for the tool rest and prevents torque from straining your arms but allows a 'natural' feel to hollowing.

The visualizer is simply replacing the overhead laser (which is awkward to see if hollowing from the end) with a camera and monitor.

Both are well engineered, as all of Trents tools seem to be.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

These toys certainly make hollowing easier to do. I chose long ago to not use the laser which came out after I had been hollowing several years on my handmade hollower.. Just my hangup--at what point do we go to total machine turning or self driving cars. Or a computer which delivers a totally finished product on command. When can we still call these pieces hand work. Just my hangup--I have plenty of others too.

I think the visualizer is a wonderful evolution from using a laser with hollowing, and was amazed when I first saw Trent demonstrate it. To those who aren't sure of it's advantage over laser, its that it takes away the guesswork on the orientation of the cutting edge on the tool to the laser. This is not a big deal when doing a straight section of hollowing where the orientation stays constant, but on the typical curved sections, it provides better feedback on that relationship as it changes while hollowing. Out of curiosity on the concept, I bought a cheap USB camera ($20 I think and listed as endoscope) and hooked it up to my laser rig and ran it to a laptop. It's not as slick and focused as the Visualizer setup, but I think that's a result of it having a focal length that isn't optimized for that far away (12" or so). Conceptually, it works pretty cool and was clearer in showing what the tool was doing and where. I just used some dry erase markers and wiped off screen when done, but could have used some sort of screen protector if concerned. I haven't used it since, mostly because of extra bulk in having the laptop out as well.
    I think if you have extra money to spend, and are into hollowing, this is a pretty cool tool and will help you achieve more consistent wall thickness on your forms. Another imaginative tool from Trent!
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 01-12-2015 at 9:13 AM.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!