Thread: Used North State CT 381 15 inch planer

Used North State CT 381 15 inch planer

I bought a used planer and got a new set of blades for it. I set the blades with setting gauge as close as I could! I ran a piece of maple to check it out and it leaves little indents or gouges in the wood. Any idea on what to try next?

Blog Entries
    Can you post a photo of the dents? You could check the pressure rollers and make sure there is not debris stuck on them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Can you post a photo of the dents? You could check the pressure rollers and make sure there is not debris stuck on them.
    I don't have a way to take pictures, but it looks more like gouges than dents. There are no pattern to them, they aren't very deep but are noticeable! Could it be the chip breaker causing this?

Larry
    Do you use a dust collector with your planer? If not, the dents could be from wood chips coming off planer blades just before your stock goes through the out feed roller, or as Lee said.

If there is no pattern, my guess is it is tearout. Could that be it?

What method did you use to set the blades?

If I don't use a dust collection with my planer, the feed rollers will mash little dents into the board surface with the shavings. This is just a confirmation of what Thomas and Lee are saying.