Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still waiting for my 30 mpg Tacoma

Okay, Matt, I have not ridden in a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali 4x4 5.3L Crew Cab but my 2006 Toyota Tacoma (4-door, long bed, 4.0L) is quite comfortable. In fact, I would call it a Camry with a bed.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I haven't ridden in a brand new Tacoma either, but test drove a 2005 and a 2010. Plenty of leg room, but when you get the seat adjusted comfortably for your legs, the steering wheel seems to be too far away. Seats were much harder and less comfortable. Also much much narrower in the hip room. Also the ride and handling of the Tacoma is stiffer and more truck-like. I actually went to the bank in 2005 to pick up the check for that Tacoma. The banker asked me if I had heard about the new employee level discounts that GM had initiated. I then went out and test drove a 2005 Sierra Crew Cab. The discount made the GMC cheaper than the Tacoma, and the difference in comfort was a no-brainer for me.

Blog Entries
    Isn't the Tacoma more of a mid size pickup, like the Colorado?
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Diesel is so crazy expensive, at least here in Minnesota, that diesel vehicles don't save any money unless the MPG is a LOT higher than the gasoline version of the same vehicle. I love diesel vehicles, but with diesel at 75 cent to a dollar per gallon more than gasoline and the higher costs of the vehicle it just doesn't make sense most of the time. If you need to tow large trailers, especially in the mountains, then diesel makes sense even if it costs more.

I had a nice Golf with diesel engine, but that was back when diesel prices were like 25 cents more than gasoline.
    The wife an I just did a cost of ownership comparison of a VW (can't remember if it was a Golf or Jetta) gas vs diesel. Given the difference in sticker price and MPG, over the course of 150k miles (15k/yr for 10 years), the price of gas vs. diesel would have to remain within 10 cents in order to break even. I'm not seeing the advantage at the moment. I know how to fix most things gas, diesel would be a learning curve. But on the other hand, the next truck may be diesel (towing ability) so I may reconsider diesel for out cars after our next.

There's a lot of praises for the new Ford F150 truck ,up here in Canadian international auto show,this truck with its Aluminium body,V6(2.7 or 3.5) gets 31 Mpg,the XL is ~$20.000.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    There's a lot of praises for the new Ford F150 truck ,up here in Canadian international auto show,this truck with its Aluminium body,V6(2.7 or 3.5) gets 31 Mpg,the XL is ~$20.000.
    What is the MPG for a 4WD crew cab? They usually tout the MPG for a 2WD base model yet the crew cab is the one I see most of and anywhere in the Midwest you would be crazy not to have 4WD at least for resale value.

Yes it is Ole.

What is the MPG for a 4WD crew cab? They usually tout the MPG for a 2WD base model yet the crew cab is the one I see most of and anywhere in the Midwest you would be crazy not to have 4WD at least for resale value.
    17/23 mpg,(city/HWY),with the Aluminum body I was hoping to see better numbers.

Is it me or the tacoma 2016 looks ugly?

Thats what a salesmen will tell you. Its balogna. When it comes time to sell you will indeed get more, but not enough to cover the cost of 4wd, insurance, extra fuel and added maintenance. Not even close.

With new design winter specific tires there is a lot less reason to drive a 4wd. I am a contractor and I have been getting by just fine with 2wd for my last 3 trucks. I live way the heck out on the edge of the Pigeon River Forest in a heavy snow belt and its not a problem. My total costs are averaging 40% less. If you don't really need it 4wd is just an added expense.

My wife and I love the ride of our 2014 Tacoma. It rides a whole lot better than her 2006 4runner, and gets better mileage. We take the truck because of the smoother ride. Thomas they are trying to make cars and trucks look tough and bad these days. The Tacoma is to small to look tough,especially when a dually is coming at you with a load of tools in the back. I've been there and it ain't fun.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Thats what a salesmen will tell you. Its balogna. When it comes time to sell you will indeed get more, but not enough to cover the cost of 4wd, insurance, extra fuel and added maintenance. Not even close.
    I know from buying a used truck a while back that the resale value difference for a 2WD is substantial. I could buy a used 2WD truck for about $5,000 less than a 4WD model. I don't personally know anyone who uses snow tires on their truck, but I haven't ever specifically asked either. Snow tires aren't particularly inexpensive especially if you get a set of rims for the snow tires. About the only people I know with snow tires have rear wheel drive vehicles like a BMW.

If you buy used then 2WD probably really makes a lot of sense since they are usually much less expensive than 4WD. If buying new, and not buying a base model work truck, you would have a hard time even finding a 2WD truck on the lot. Most drivers think they need 4WD and dealers cater to that by only ordering 4WD most of the time.

I know from buying a used truck a while back that the resale value difference for a 2WD is substantial. I could buy a used 2WD truck for about $5,000 less than a 4WD model. I don't personally know anyone who uses snow tires on their truck, but I haven't ever specifically asked either. Snow tires aren't particularly inexpensive especially if you get a set of rims for the snow tires. About the only people I know with snow tires have rear wheel drive vehicles like a BMW.

If you buy used then 2WD probably really makes a lot of sense since they are usually much less expensive than 4WD. If buying new, and not buying a base model work truck, you would have a hard time even finding a 2WD truck on the lot. Most drivers think they need 4WD and dealers cater to that by only ordering 4WD most of the time.
    I agree with Brian, here in Northern MN, you'd have a hard time getting even book value on a used 2wd pickup. You'd probably have to special order a new one at any of the local dealers. The new dedicated snow tires such as the Blizzaks are wonderful, but I'll take a 4wd with good quality ATs on all 4 corners any day of the week. I commute 27 miles one way to work every day. Whenever it snows, I get called in at 3 a.m. before the highways are plowed for snow removal at the University where I work. I use to do it in a 2wd pickup. Ice or snow, not fun!

I gave up waiting and got a Honda Ridgeline instead. A compromise. I had a 1990-something Taco before they were named Tacomas. Great truck and I wanted the same thing - two seats, 4wd, 4 cylinder. No such thing anymore. I remember when these were called mini-pickups. Now I can't fit an extended cab Tacoma in my garage.