Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O. T. but it has been slow here....

O. T. but it has been slow here....

To Do List for today:

Turn some bowls. Check!

Run some errands. Check!

Pick up some pizza to cook for later. Check!

Take my power walk. Check!

Put on my colors. Check!

One final thing, Ducks kick some Buckeye Butt!!!!!

robo hippy

2. Are you referring to the forum here, or your neck of the woods? When I first started visiting and posting on SMC about 5 years ago [give or take a few months] it seems to me at least, that the turners forum was much more active back then. Once in a while we see spikes in posting numbers, but it seems for the most part the interaction is down somewhat.

Back then we had more activity from some of our noted mods or former mods but we don't criticize........they actually have a life outside of keeping traffic between the guard rails all the time! It also seems to me at least, that a number of the regulars have matured in their skill levels and not nearly as many "how to" questions, and fewer tool posts.........I guess a lot of the turning community has some familiarity with most of what is on the market at this point.

The threads I started on the new G0766 got a lot of buzz......thousands of views and lots of posts. That should keep the numbers up for Keith!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Are you referring to the forum here, or your neck of the woods? ...
    And Robo shots and scores, right over Roger's head.

HINTS:
    What sporting event is tonight, Monday Jan 12th?
    What Oregon team is playing?
    What town are they from?
    What town does Robo live in?
    Where did Robo go to College?

The DW threatened to call one of her sewing students tonight to discuss the sewing stuff they talked about while down in Eugene over the weekend. The student offered to hang up on her (yes, she is also a "Duck")
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    And Robo shots and scores, right over Roger's head.

HINTS:
    What sporting event is tonight, Monday Jan 12th?
    What Oregon team is playing?
    What town are they from?
    What town does Robo live in?
    Where did Robo go to College?

The DW threatened to call one of her sewing students tonight to discuss the sewing stuff they talked about while down in Eugene over the weekend. The student offered to hang up on her (yes, she is also a "Duck")
    Ralph.......I am well aware of Oregon Ducks playing OHIO for the national championship................not over my head at all! Also know where Reed is from.......that was the reason why I asked if he was referring to his neck of the woods!

It is obvious he will be pulling for the Ducks.........got the pizza and everything for the game. His evening looks to be busy, so I wondered if his comment was about the traffic on the turners forum.

ROBO,
    YOU CHECK THE SCORE LATELY
    go bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger
    Not sure what the right answer is but I will give another view. I guess I'm still a new turner, just over a year, but have been building furniture and working with wood for 30 plus years. I was just reading another section and thought, wow, some people are jerks. Someone was asking a newbie style question and I'm not sure why, but, it seems some people on forums, not just this one, like to skewer someone for asking what they think is a "stupid" question. I am of course not suggesting you, or anyone in particular.

How many times do you see a thread start, I've searched over and over, or, I have tried to find this info but can't. Maybe it's just me but, why do so many people have to feel like they must apologize before asking a question. Oh, I know why, because they don't want to hear the crap. I for one rarely ask a question any more. I do read to learn but it's not really worth wondering if the subjects been talked about, discussed too many times, or should be easy to find. I thought it would be a fun place to converse but I really think it's more like school and clicks.

Anyhow, just my thought...........now..........I'm ready to get skewered. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Are you referring to the forum here, or your neck of the woods? When I first started visiting and posting on SMC about 5 years ago [give or take a few months] it seems to me at least, that the turners forum was much more active back then. Once in a while we see spikes in posting numbers, but it seems for the most part the interaction is down somewhat.

Back then we had more activity from some of our noted mods or former mods but we don't criticize........they actually have a life outside of keeping traffic between the guard rails all the time! It also seems to me at least, that a number of the regulars have matured in their skill levels and not nearly as many "how to" questions, and fewer tool posts.........I guess a lot of the turning community has some familiarity with most of what is on the market at this point.

The threads I started on the new G0766 got a lot of buzz......thousands of views and lots of posts. That should keep the numbers up for Keith!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Roger
    Not sure what the right answer is but I will give another view. I guess I'm still a new turner, just over a year, but have been building furniture and working with wood for 30 plus years. I was just reading another section and thought, wow, some people are jerks. Someone was asking a newbie style question and I'm not sure why, but, it seems some people on forums, not just this one, like to skewer someone for asking what they think is a "stupid" question. I am of course not suggesting you, or anyone in particular.

How many times do you see a thread start, I've searched over and over, or, I have tried to find this info but can't. Maybe it's just me but, why do so many people have to feel like they must apologize before asking a question. Oh, I know why, because they don't want to hear the crap. I for one rarely ask a question any more. I do read to learn but it's not really worth wondering if the subjects been talked about, discussed too many times, or should be easy to find. I thought it would be a fun place to converse but I really think it's more like school and clicks.

Anyhow, just my thought...........now..........I'm ready to get skewered. Haha
    You won't get skewered by me,Scott. One of the great things that happened in my learning from these interactions on SMC and some other forums as well, is that, the mods were so good in the beginning to help a new turner, and so were some of the more experienced turners who visited the site fairly regularly.

I remember that I had tons of questions on finishing and tools and numerous other items, and many times John Keeton or Steve Schlumpf went out of their way to assist with answers, and sometimes pointed me to threads that had discussed the subject I was asking questions about. I have recently seen both John and Steve do the same thing for others..........they are just fine gentlemen, and while their lives are indeed busy, they still offer help as they can.

I would encourage you to stick with it, Scott, and do not be hesitant to ask questions.........sometimes if there is no response in short order it is likely because your thread was not seen by the right person with the right answers, but I can definitely say that by and large, there are some really nice folks who are willing to share, and some superb and skilled turners who are part of the "creeker" family.

Reed,

I don't usually put my two cents in on many threads here on Sawmill Creek but I have to say that I hope that Ohio State is victorious. At this point it is halftime and the Buckeyes have an 11 point lead. I understand that these games are played to see who wins. Oregon seems like a talented team and will be a worthy runner up (I hope).

Since this forum is about turning, I do have something of interest for those of you who aren't following the football. I found Reed's article on his website about CBN wheels. Here is the link: http://www.robohippy.net/featured-article/ It is one of the best articles about CBN wheels that I have seen. It has lots of very useful information. I looked at a friends new radius wheels today and couldn't understand why the radius was added. The article gives a nice explanation. When I buy another, I won't get the radius.

Cheers and enjoy the game!

David G

Well, there is always the second half. I figure one of the strengths of the Ducks is their half time adjustments. They haven't had to come from behind this year though.

For what it's worth, I actually played 1 year of football for the Ducks. It was so long ago that Dan Fouts was our freshman quarter back. I played end, tackle, and guard. ??? I sat at the end of the bench, guarded the water bucket, and tackled any one who went for it.... Just didn't have that attitude for the next level. I ended up working out with the Gymnastics team the next few seasons. There weren't too many 195 pound gymnasts, but it suited me better. Wish I was still that strong.

The forum ebbs and flows with how active it is. Seems to be less so lately. Many are thinking about all the upcoming spring chores. I got some logs dropped off last week, and the spring sap is just beginning to run.

robo hippy

I havent had hardly any turning time recently. My flatwork that pays for my toys kept me swamped up to Christmas, my real job that pays my bills is keeping me busy now. I do have an outstanding order for a bowl and 15 pens that should grow to 25 pens.

I need to 'restock' my wifes store, so I will have to do some wine stoppers, a few more pens, and my last spalted maple bowl.

And here I thought the O.T was for Over Time or Old Timer. I guess it must mean Optimal Turnovers!

Robo,
    I can send you some buckeyes if you would like to taste victory. Duck soup for lunch in Ohio.
    I hope all your tears don't fade your colors.
    GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Curt, the Buckeyes are horse chestnuts if I remember correctly, and I don't think anything can eat those... That running back is some thing, and they just out played us, even with 4 turnovers. I expect to see Cardale as a Heisman candidate next year, and a winner the year after. Not sure if the Ducks have the quarter back they need for next year. He will get a chance.

As for people getting skewed for asking silly questions, well, I can't remember that one. I don't answer as many questions as I used to, but many others are filling in very well. I started out asking all the questions, and now I get to answer.

The article on CBN wheels was done for Woodturning Design, and right after I submitted it, they closed up shop. I submitted it to the AAW and they told me I had to cut it down to 1,000 words from 4,000. That would have left too many unanswered questions that have been asked by turners on all the forums. I still need to get the pictures up, hopefully later this week.

Now off to read for a while before nodding off. Much better than TV. More bowls to turn in the morning. Who knows, since the Ducks didn't win, maybe I will win the lottery....

robo hippy

ROBO,
    Buckeyes are made of peanut butter and chocolate. Yours will be coming soon. I have viewed almost all of your videos and they have taught me alot. You are an asset to the woodturning world and thank you for being so willing to share your knowledge. Enjoy your book and sleep well my friend.
    Turn on
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Stivison View Post
    ROBO,
    Buckeyes are made of peanut butter and chocolate.
    Curt

Seeing this is a woodturning site...Buckeye is a tree and the Buckeye nut is the seed. One of the stories is that Ohio became known as the Buckeye state as a result of an 1840 presidential campaign by General William Henry Harrison.

His campaign symbol was a log cabin adorned with raccoon skins and strings of Buckeyes and the following catchy tune:

“Oh where, tell me where was your buckeye cabin made?
    Twas built among the merry boys who wield the plough and spade,
    Where the log cabins stand, in the bonnie buckeye shade.

Oh what, tell me what is to be your cabin’s fate?
    We’ll wheel it to the capital and place it there elate,
    for a token and a sign of the bonnie Buckeye state.”

He won and became our 9th president; the oldest until president Reagan and also had the shortest tenure at 32 days. He should have gotten a pneumonia vaccine.

But if you want to go with candies...you're the one from Ohio.
    Congrats on the win!

I thought the Ducks were a class act, it looked like they all stayed on the field to congratulate Ohio.