Thread: Hitachi NP35A pin nailer concern

Hitachi NP35A pin nailer concern

I recently purchased this pin nailer along with a 6 gallon Porter Cable pancake compressor. This is my first finish type nailer (have used larger framing nailers in the past). My question deals with the guns inability to sink any length nail ( they protrude about 1/16" with nose piece off and 1/8" with it on) unless I push down somewhat hard on the gun. I'm using a new box of Grex nails that are a variety pack fron 3/8" up to 1 3/8", and have set the compressor from 90 to 100 PSI. The hose is a new Amflo 1/4" 25'. The material I've tried to run them in is both 3/4" ply and spruce.
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Take the nailer back unless there is a depth adjustment. Somethin' ain't right.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Do you have the nails in the right direction? Micro pins only go one way, arrows pointed down towards the work, easy detail to miss if you haven't used them. Check to see they are in right and try firing again. They look reversible but are not, one edge has a chisel point that lets them sink, put them in backwards IME they don't flush out.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Thanks guy's.

Bill, there is a depth adjustment but all that accomplished was getting the pin from 5/16" to 1/16" above the work surface. Now, without the nose piece I can get the pin to countersink a touch, but of course that is at the expense of a larger divot in the wood. The main reason I purchased this nailer was for the nose piece and the great reviews it has gotten on this site as well as many other places.

Peter, the pins I purchased have an arrow on them that shows the direction they need to be loaded in the gun.

You don't need to worry about the hose size. A pinner uses so little air per pin that hose size will not be important unless the the hose is extremely long or you are firing pins extremely fast.

I would try 105, even 110psi to see if the problem goes away. Basically, the air should drive the pin down until it stops at the depth adjustment. If it needs 105psi to work right and the manual says it needs 90psi, then that unit or that entire series is defective.

Its typical for the reviews to be based on the last generation and then the company decided to cut some more corners...........

You might want to take your unit to someplace that sells the Grex P635 and see if you can try out both side by side.

This is totally off the top of my head but I seem to recall that the green colored Hitachi stuff is crap. The light blue and silver units were better.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 01-13-2015 at 3:21 PM. Reason: added last line

Thanks Greg, I'll look into those ideas tomorrow.

7. I would return the gun. I own and have run the Hitachi pinner for several years on jobs and in the shop and it has been reliable if somewhat lacking in the refinements available on more expensive guns. My compressors are set at 100psi and it sets pins every time. I purchased the gun after a truck break in on price point alone and was pleasantly surprised at its performance.

I have found it to better than most of the newer Hitachi trim guns. My other nailers are older Hitachi purchased before they went to the crazy looking color and design scheme and dramatically cut the build quality.

Interesting, thanks, Justin.

I bought Hitachi pin nailers cause they hit highest rating on Amazon. Both have worked good, except that if I don't hold *firm* pressure against the wood, the pin sticks out. OK-operator error. I almost bought Grex pin nails for it, but thought---you know, these may be the best pin nails out there, but they might only work best with Grex gun. I don't know. I just don't put anything past those folks sitting up in the board rooms making decisions about money and their product line.

As has been said, there is an adjustment on the gun. Looks like a hassle, and I have not adjusted it. Let us know.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Were you somewhat generous with the oil? No need to flood it but at least 3-4 drops? I'm not familiar with that gun and assume it needs oil.

Well I got it to work by turning up the air pressure to 105 like Greg mentioned. As I said in an earlier post, the compressor is brand new so possibly the gauge is off.
    Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with this!