Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saws, explain it like I'm 5...

Table saws, explain it like I'm 5...

OK, I'm a lathe guy. I have a good 16" lathe, and a decent 14" bandsaw, both Jet brand. I've come upon a few times when I also wish I had a table saw. But, since I like nice things, I don't really want to get the $99 compact table saw that I can pick up at home depot. I would use a table saw for possibly making some furniture for my new house (so, cutting sheets of plywood, for example, miter joints for face frames, cross cutting for shelves maybe, that type of regular stuff). I'm pretty stuck on just having 120v tools, by the way, and my table saw would be mobile one way or another, because I'm just working with all my stuff out in the garage.

So, I'm thinking maybe something like a hybrid saw, making cutting sheet goods like plywood, etc, pretty easy to do, good quality so I don't have to fight the tool, etc, even though I would be more of an occasional user.

But even in that category, the price range is incredible. What is the difference between, say, this Ridgid saw from Home depot that gets good reviews and is around $500:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...4512/202500206

and something like this Jet, which would match my lathe and bandsaw (I know, matching brands and color is sort of a trivial thing, but still...), but costs closer to $1400:

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708494K-JP.../dp/B007HC7066

And then throw in the mid-priced option, from Grizzly:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/G0715P

Huge price range, how different would they really be to me, if I'm just using it for practical stuff sometimes, making my own furniture sometimes, and playing around as a hobbyist?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I lived without a table saw for years. But I was (and still am) a big believer in radial arm saws. I bought one as my first major powered woodworking tool back in 1976. That saw still is my "go to" saw for crosscutting. I have a compound miter saw for miters, so I can keep the RAS locked in a 90 degree crosscuts. I bought a Ryobi BT3100 table saw at Home Depot 10 years ago. I do not own any other Ryobi power tools. The BT3100 (and its predecessor, the BT3000) were really decent little contractor saws. But like most contractor saws, I view it as underpowered for my needs). I have a thin kerf Forrest blade on it, and that helps a lot to muscle thru heavy woods like oak.

Almost two years ago I was preparing to upgrade to a 3HP SawStop cabinet saw. I've used one, and they are really nice. But I delayed my purchase, and instead opted for a Festool track saw. Best decision I ever made. My decision to upgrade to the SawStop was mostly to handle sheet goods at the time, and the track saw does a phenomenal job in breaking down sheet goods, as well as subsequent final panel cuts.

I'll still get a SawStop at some point, but primarily for ripping 4/4 and thicker hardwoods, where the Ryobi struggles. Since you are limited to 110VAC, take a look at the SawStop cabinet saw that uses 110VAC, or even their new contractor-style saw, if you really want a table saw. Also, don't overlook adding 220VAC to your garage, and getting a mobile base for a cabinet saw. Either way, I'd avoid most cheap saws, I've used a number of them, and accuracy seems to always haunt you. That said, the BT3100 was pretty cheap, but has a real following. And you can find them used periodically. Tere is a forum devoted to them -- BT3Central.

If plywood projects are a big part of your future, consider a track saw. I am a Festool fan, but there are less expensive alternatives like DeWalt, Makita, Grizzly, and now even Triton. Watch some of the Festool track saw videos, and take a look at the Paulk Workbench videos. Ron Pau;k is a home builder that has designed a tear-down workbench to support using a Festool track saw. He has also adapted it to hold a small DeWalt table saw, and built in a router table. Ingenious design. His videos motivated me to build a permanent large track saw workbench (see alo the MFT workbench from Festool). I did not need portability, and I want a full sized bench, so I built my own "MFT-XL" based on the 20mm grid used by Festool. I machined the top from MDF, jsut like the MFT, just bigger (36" x 84").

Good luck -- lots of options to consider!
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 01-12-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Your use of the saw will drastically change the features that are important to you and generally the price. The Jet at lest has cabinet mounted trunnions so your ability to adjust for accuracy is greatly improved. Anyone who has tried to dial out the burning you get on table mounted trunnions when cutting long bevels (mitered corners for example) knows what I mean. If you will be making 99% of your cuts at 90* you can get almost anything aligned eventually and you never have to think about it again on a reasonable quality machine.

Things like the ease of operating the hand wheels seems trivial until the 47th time you've had to 'fight that stiff mechanism' ;-) Ease of guard, splitter or riving knife adjustment and/or removal come into play in my boox as does dust collection or the ease of adding it. It seems there are $100 contractor saws in the used market on a regular basis. It might pay to pick one up to use for awhile just to see what your requirements truly are. Once you know better, sell the used saw for what you paid for it and buy the saw you need.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've got an older version of that Ridgid saw and I am very happy with it so, for the price especially, I think its a great machine. I like the wide capacity to the right of the blade for working plywood stuff. I think the power is plenty for anything a 10 inch blade needs to deal with. You willl want to make a sliding cross-cut table for it.

To me the most important attribute of a table saw is accuracy and the ability to keep its settings. A good portion of this is the fence and the fences ability to stay parallel to the blade. A solid lower end saw with a good fence will usually outperform a high end saw with a lousy fence. My Powermatic cabinet saw came with the older two tube fence system that locked on both the front and rear tubes. The front and rear locking was superior for keeping the fence from moving during a cut but the fence didn't inherently stay parallel to the blade. The fence worked fine but setting the fence for a cut was tedious. I would first measure from the bladed to the fence to set the cut width. I would then measure from the front of the fence to the miter slot and compare that measurement to the distance from the rear of the fence to the miter slot to make sure the fence was parallel to the blade. Like I said it was tedious. When I upgraded to a Vega fence the saw became much easier to use because the fence inherently stayed parallel to the blade.

The second most important feature to me is stability. A heavy cabinet saw is not easy to tip over when you have a heavy sheet of plywood being cut.

I would rate ease of use the third most important feature. With my Vega fence I can set the fence accurately in a couple of seconds. With the original tube fence it took closer to a minute to set the fence accurately.

My father had a good Rockwell contractor saw that he picked up used for $100. Even with it's stock fence is always did very well in accuracy, keeping its settings and stability. My fathers contractor saw was 2hp and never ran out power to get the job done. We even ripped some long 5" square teak posts in half for my sister (by making a cut then flipping the piece over to make a second final cut) easily on that saw. With a sharp thin kerf blade and a well aligned fence I would not fret over the motors power too much. If I am ripping some really thick hard wood on my 3hp 10" powermatic cabinet saw and the fence isn't parallel to the blade it will bind. My 5hp 12" powermatic cabinet saw will power through the same misaligned cut and just leave a really rough edge on the board. I have never had a kick back on a table saw but misaligned cuts is the best way to cause a kick back and my 5hp saw is more likely to kick back because it is less likely to bind the blade. When you are just learning and getting used to using a table saw you are much more likely to bind the blade or cause a kick back or bind the blade. Once you have developed a good technique your cuts will be smoother and easier.

I have worked on some very cheap table top table saws that would not maintain the blade alignment when the blade is tilted. As the blade tilts the back of the blade would move farther away from the fence than the front of the blade. Setting the blade back to 90 degrees would return the blade to alignment. This is just poor design and I highly doubt any of the saws you have listed would have this problem.

I grew up learning woodworking from my father on his Delta turret arm radial arm saw. I have ripped hundreds if not thousands of linear feet of lumber on that saw. I would not want to go back to ripping lumber on a radial arm saw! Although ripping on a RAS is very doable and can be performed safely I am much more comfortable ripping on a table saw. I do pretty much all my cross cutting on my 16" Red Star turret arm radial arm saw. Many woodworkers do all of their crosscutting on a table saw. For a lot of woodworkers the table saw is the center of the shop on which the majority of the work is performed. From this perspective it is worth it to invest in a saw that will suit you present needs as well as your needs as your skills and projects advance.

Of the saws you listed I think I would go for the Grizzly... although any of them should do well at getting the job done if the saw is aligned well.

A good solid out-feed table will do wonders in increasing the usability of any good table saw.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 01-12-2015 at 1:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    There is an old saying,
    "Buy an expensive tool and cry when you buy it, buy a cheap tool and cry every time you use it."
    There is a difference between less expensive and cheap
    I advised my son to get a Sawstop. He did, he bought a contractors saw. It was expensive, but it's the last saw he will have to buy.
    The Ridgid saw has good write ups, it's probably a reasonable purchase.

I have a Delta 2000 contractor's saw with a table extension on it. It's been a great saw for me. It is 15 years old and has no measurable run out on the blade.

I personally would purchase the contractors Saw Stop if I were buying today. I almost cut my thumb off one time, and the emergency room expenses would have offset a major portion of the cost of the saw.

OBTW, I still have my thumb.

+1 on the Festool Track Saw. I sold my PM 66 and now own a SawStop contractor version. The only things I use it for are dados and cutting multiple thin boards (think rails and stiles). Both of these could also be accomplished with the Festool System. I had a Eureka Zone track saw setup originally but sold it and delved deep into the Festool Kool Aid.

I will never break down plywood on a table saw again after using the track saw. Besides being easier the cut is much better because of the tearout prevention system built in. Angles are much easier as well. Having said this there are a couple of layout tools that are necessary. The main one is the Woodpecker TS 24-2 T square. Watch the video. Lastly they take up no room in the garage.

For me a table saw is a luxury not a necessity.

Usually the price changes with quality. I'd imagine the difference between a $500 saw and a $1500 saw to be a lot of little things, that add up if you will use it substantially. Thicker ply metal, wider rip capacity, more accurate fence, ability to rip left side blade, larger flatter top, more HP powerful motor, built in dust collection, riving knife, blade guards that you'll actually use rather than remove, ability to drop in router table top, longer warranty, etc....

If it's worth it to you is a personal decision based how you will use it.

That $550 Ridgid looks like a great value btw. Going to be hard to lose with that.

Oh and I do own a Festool REQ55 track saw and its excellent too. But to me they are different tools.

OK, I'm just going to keep it simple. I would go with the Grizzly. It can be run on 220v, has a 2HP motor, 30" rip capacity to the right of the blade, left tilting blade, riving knife, and comes in at 400+ pounds. It won't move when your cutting. It will easily handle a sheet of plywood. It will do as much and more than you will ever ask it to. Grizzly customer service is fantastic if you ever need to use it. All for $825. I would get a mobile base so you can move it around with ease. I have the Grizzly G1023RLX and love the saw. Good luck with your search but pick the saw that will do more than what your looking to (like y'all are telling me to do in a lathe) because down the road you may want to do more than you think right now.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by William M Johnson View Post
    +1 on the Festool Track Saw. I sold my PM 66 and now own a SawStop contractor version. The only things I use it for are dados and cutting multiple thin boards (think rails and stiles). Both of these could also be accomplished with the Festool System. I had a Eureka Zone track saw setup originally but sold it and delved deep into the Festool Kool Aid.

I will never break down plywood on a table saw again after using the track saw. Besides being easier the cut is much better because of the tearout prevention system built in. Angles are much easier as well. Having said this there are a couple of layout tools that are necessary. The main one is the Woodpecker TS 24-2 T square. Watch the video. Lastly they take up no room in the garage.

For me a table saw is a luxury not a necessity.
    This is pretty much my take on the subject too - ESPECIALLY since you own a bandsaw. Without the bandsaw I would say that a T saw is essential for woodworking - other than processing sheet goods in which the track saw has far exceeded my expectations.

William writes above - "The only things I use it for are dados and cutting multiple thin boards (think rails and stiles). Both of these could also be accomplished with the Festool System." The second part of that quote is not so simple but yes you can do lots of dado work with a router and a guide rail but if you intend to do lots of woodworking such as building doors, drawers, face frames, solid wood tops etc. a table saw is a very useful tool. The brands you mention can all do the job with sharp blades and the essential riving knife.

The "playing around as a hobbyist" of the OP raise my concern flag because a table saw is a very unforgiving tool when inattention and casual use are factored in. Yes - all woodworking tools can be subjected to that qualifier but the bandsaw and track saw don't tend to throw things at you or reach out to drag your fingers into the spinning blade - just sayin...

HAVING SAID ALL THAT - +1 to what RED has written in the post above this one!
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 01-12-2015 at 4:02 PM. Reason: +1
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Paxman View Post
    ... I would use a table saw for possibly making some furniture for my new house (so, cutting sheets of plywood, for example, miter joints for face frames, cross cutting for shelves maybe, that type of regular stuff). I'm pretty stuck on just having 120v tools, by the way, and my table saw would be mobile one way or another, because I'm just working with all my stuff out in the garage.
    Steve
    After reading what you wanted it for - I don't think you need a table saw at all

Put me in the "track saw" camp. That with a good Sliding Compound Miter Saw (SCMS) should pretty much coverage it.

First, I'd ask if you have plenty of room for a tablesaw? If you are short of room, more equipment is not always a plus. If you have room, I'd look for a good used cabinet saw. That is the one piece of equipment I see used regularly. Seems guys buy a new saw, find they don't use it and sell it on craigslist for a big discount.

I am kind of in your boat accept I am looking to start turning now. I had a dewalt hybrid table saw. I sold it And got a 17inch grizz band saw and dewalt track saw. I love the track and will never break down sheet goods any other way. First cut is the finish cut with it. I can use it to rip hard woods also. I also use my band saw for ripping followed by a light pass on the jointer.

The track saw has an advantage for breaking down a large sheet of plywood but I can do that on my table saw too. Does the track saw do cross-cutting for shelves? Does the track saw do miters? Does the track saw do dadoes? Does the track saw do rabbets?