Thread: Idea for InexpensiveLlong-Radius Elbows

Idea for InexpensiveLlong-Radius Elbows

I'd be surprised if nobody else has had this idea, so I thought I'd throw it out there and find out of it's worth trying.

The idea is to take two standard HVAC elbows--short-radius by default--adjust them to 45 degrees each and put them together to make a longer-radius 90. Has anyone tried this? Did it work? Was the radius long enough to be comparable to "real" long-radius 90's?

While those expensive, smooth long-radius elbows are both lovely to look at and nicely efficient I like the idea of using adjustable elbows, if for no other reason than the reality that "perfectly square" and "perfectly straight" seldom share a sentence with "ductwork" or "Conduit." I like the adjustable LR elbows Oneida sells for around $15, but if I can do the same thing with a couple of $4 elbows back-to-back, I'd love the economy even more.

What say ye? Anybody tried this?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Depends. Metal ones? Or, the PVC ones? PVC, get two 45 degree fittings, add a short connector between them.
    Metal: One could use the adjustable ones used for DRyer vents....

Galvanized Metal.

D.

I shaved my head.

Blog Entries
    I used two 45s with a short straight section between for my 90 degree corners... it was nearly as inexpensive, and I'm sure I get better flow.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Sure. Depending on the two points that needed to be connected I've used 3. 6" galvanized 90's are pretty cheap. Just seal everything which I pretty much did with AL tape

That is how I intend to do my DC pipe.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Blog Entries
    Have fun twisting them to get a 45, almost as much fun as a Rubrics cube. Don't forget to run a thin bead of clear silicone along each joint before your install.
    NOW you tell me...

My DC pipe is plastic but I used two 45s over a long-radiused 90 as the cost was much cheaper. I cannot attest to the 2 45s being better or worse in flow/static pressure to a lr 90 but I don't care, my DC sucks fine.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have used 90 degree elbows twisted to 45 to make a long sweep, they don't look straight anymore, but it works. I don't use caulk in the joints, as it glues them together, and it is hard to get them apart, just use aluminum furnace tape on the outside. DC is not permanent, you are always having to make changes.

Since I started this discussion, it seemed appropriate to show my results. I stopped by Lowes this morning and found a couple of 26ga 7" elbows in the sea of 30-ga thinness, brought them home and started twisting.

IMG_1809.jpgIMG_1806.jpg

Each standard (short-radius) 90 degree elbow easily transformed into a long-radius 45--and when two of those are combined, you get a rather pleasing long-radius 90 degree elbow for under $10. A considerable saving compared to the adjustable (gored) long elbows sold for around $20 by the DC vendors.

The place where I'll save most is on my 45 degree elbows. Around $5 beats $20 and up any day!

BTW, The radius works out to 1.85 times the diameter, a respectable and quite acceptable radius. Now, I just need to buy a cyclone...

D.

I shaved my head.

I like the idea and the results. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Have fun twisting them to get a 45, almost as much fun as a Rubrics cube.
    To quote the Cowardly Lion: "Ain't it da trut. Ain't it da trut."

I always have to clamp one end to the edge of a table/bench, work one section at a time - duct taping that joint when I think it is right - and then move to the next section. Using gloves with "grip surface".
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    To quote the Cowardly Lion: "Ain't it da trut. Ain't it da trut."

I always have to clamp one end to the edge of a table/bench, work one section at a time - duct taping that joint when I think it is right - and then move to the next section. Using gloves with "grip surface".

I used to HATE messing with gored (adjustable) elbows. Then I learned a method that uses the seams as reference points. If you've got a bunch of elbows you need to set to 45 degrees, you can use dividers to replicate that setting easily on as many elbows as you need. Easier than I ever thought it could be!

D.

I shaved my head.

Sure, that's what I did wherever I had the room to make the turn.