Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair Warning to all ...

Fair Warning to all ...

Don’t let anyone tell you it costs $6 to join the Creek.

For me anyway, this forum is expensive! After reading about it for a couple years now, I dropped my guard and walked into and then out of the orange store with an orange box labeled ‘Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander’. Now it’s all about them curves, ‘bout them curves, no trouble. Two hundred Creeker bucks. Of course I don’t make my rare trip to the orange store without taking asile by asile inventory so another thirty nine Creeker bucks went to a set of Husky ratchet crescent wrenches.

Then of course since I find my brass setup blocks so useful, I get sucked into the "Brass Setup Blocks?” thread and it’s not long before I learn about Lee Valley’s aluminum setup blocks available all the way from 1/32” to 3/4”, which I have to have because of all the times I need to set my router to precisely 13/32” and then adjust it to 15/32”. Say good bye to sixty something more buckaroos. At least I acted before the Woodpeckers picture showed up.

Actually, I WILL make good use of these newbies in my shop and I’m grateful to know about them. But it would be better for my bottom line if people would stop talking about the Super Max 19-38 drum sander ...

Wait till you try a well tuned hand plane, now there's a slippery slop

Enjoy the ride!
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Yup. Been there. Done that. I feel your pain.

Dont start looking at old hand planes or it will get even worse. DAMHIKT!

Fred

Edit: Brian and I mustve been reading each others' mind!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think I'm most suprised about the Meghan Trainor reference. You don't see that every day here on the creek!

Rather than blaming the creek, the first step is to admit that you have a problem.

I've done it, "Hi, my name is Alden I am a tool addict".

-Alden

Hi Alden!

I'm a tool addict too. I collect hand planes. I've heard that there is actually a use for them.

I've been thinking about that Rigid sander too. It's been a long time since I seen it on slae.

No worries, start a catch and release program

don't worry about spending $ on tools, if you get one that doesn't work out for you, do a catch and release by selling it in the creek classifieds or on c-list and now you have $ to buy another tool. problem solved,...you can thank me later.

i tend to do that...buy a tool I think might help me, see if it works for me and my process, if it doesn't then it gets sold.

p.s. i take no responsibility for marital issues that may arise from this pattern of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cenicola View Post
    I think I'm most suprised about the Meghan Trainor reference. You don't see that every day here on the creek!
    Local girl makes good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alden Miller View Post
    Rather than blaming the creek, the first step is to admit that you have a problem.

I've done it, "Hi, my name is Alden I am a tool addict".

-Alden
    Last night when I was looking at more sleeves for the sander my wife saw them on my screen and the conversation went like this.
    "Are you buying more tools?"
    "I'm always buying more tools."
    "At some point you need to realize maybe you have enough. "
    I changed the subject.

So to get back on point, where do you guys buy your sleeves?

You will be assimilated.

Resistance is futile.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I believe that he who has the most tools when he passes on, WINS!!

Blog Entries
    Save your Creeker Bucks! Avoid hand tools or (especially) turning. Buying a lathe is like buying a boat; the initial purchase is just the cost of admission.

My pre-apologies to all our wonderful spinny folks ;-))
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

About 2 years ago I wanted a lathe sooooooo bad.

But I had my men tie me to the mast and I'm now safely through those waters.

Now I want a drum sander.

Don't feel bad about it. Recent anthropological studies have come to the conclusion that the first use of language was to talk about tools and tool making.

http://news.sciencemag.org/archaeolo...ors-make-tools
    Last edited by Erich Larson; 01-14-2015 at 4:23 PM.

90% of the members here never go to the sign (aka laser or worse dye sub boys) or the cnc forums with any regularity. Those folks are all safe.

I buy my sanding sleeves from Econ abrasives site. Search
    Abrasive Spindle Sander Sleeves/Tubes on that site.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.