Thread: John Beaver's secrets!!

John Beaver's secrets!!

In my efforts to expand my teaching experiences, I was perusing the various websites of craft schools around the country. Lots of familiar names crop up, including our very own John Beaver! Every time I see him post one of his creations, I wonder "how did he do that?" Well, the week of June 15 - 19, 2015, John is teaching his secrets of Sawn and Sculpted Bowls at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship at Rockport, Maine. If my travel plans for the year weren't already over budget, this one would be on the list!

I first met John at the St. Paul AAW Symposium. Super nice fellow and amazingly talented. Add to that just a great venue!! Rockport is one of my favorite areas to visit. It has been a few years since we have been to that area, but IMO the shoreline of Maine is one of the most picturesque parts of the country.

We (the Presque Isle Woodturners of Erie, PA) have John coming for three days of hands on and an evening club demo the week of March 30 thru April 2nd. Get in touch if you would like to join us.

This point might be academic, but if he is teaching his stuff, can it really be called a secret? Either that, or they are secrets and he is just really bad at keeping them.

I saw John demo at the AAW symposium last year in Phoenix, and our club is having him back at the 2016 Desert Woodturning Roundup a year from now. He is a great demonstrator and does some fantastic stuff. The basic premise of his wave bowls is actually pretty simple, but it is something that I never would have thought of. That is what fascinates me.

John is a lot of fun. I got to spend a little time with him in Phoenix at the AAW symposium banquet and we clicked instantly. I went to his demo the next morning and he did a great job. Very informative and entertaining.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

John was through here a couple years ago, demonstrating his "wave bowl"
    We got to host him, it was lots of fun.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I went to a 'hands on' session with John a couple of years ago. He's a great guy and even shared his secret for making the wave bowls. Each of the students in the class got to make a couple of bowls using his technique. One of these days I will finish up my 'wave' bowls and post them here!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

John looks to be doing demo's on the wave bowls at Totally Turning in late March if any was looking for a smaller symposium than the AAW to attend.

Thanks for the plugs. Dale, I'm not going to be sharing ALL of my secrets. Just the ones you can handle.

Actually, it's going to be a really fun creative class, where you will learn lots of neat tricks. I would love to see some "creekers" there.

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

One of the reasons that I am going to Totally Turning this year is to learn some of John's secrets. My reservations are already completed.

The other speakers are outstanding too. Some of the names are Cook, Elsworth, and Biggs. If you live in the Northeast, this is a show that you shouldn't miss. There is a showcase with a very impressive display of turnings and other woodworking and a commercial area that will easily reduce the size of your wallet.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
    David
    Last edited by David Gilbert; 01-15-2015 at 9:32 PM.