Thread: New Jointer Arrived - Problem Resolved Update

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Jointer Arrived - Problem Resolved Update

Assembled the new Yorkcraft 8" jointer today. This is my 1st new major machine purchase. Up until now all machines have been used and most old vintage types. I'm concerned about several things and would appreciate some feedback before I call customer service on Monday.

I had some shipping and instruction manual issues but they were minor and not worth mentioning further. But I am a bit disappointed in the fit & finish, so my first question is...Is it normal to have paint chips and indentations in the castings? (I would post a pic but the pic file is too large & I don't know how to shrink it) But the castings have pits, dents and paint chippings. The table surface appears flat and smooth, so this is just cosmetic, but I expected a little better finish on a new machine.

The major issue I have now is...The first board I jointed was a 1 x 6 white pine. Very nice sharp edge. Then I turned it over and face jointed it. I saw several small streaks in the wood which must mean one or more of the blades have a nick. I also noticed that the main wheel (mobil base) was worn BEFORE being installed. This could only mean it had been used. I'm now wondering if I got a machine that has used parts on it.

Like I said, customer service will get a call on Monday morning and I'll be sure to post the results. Others on SMC have said good things about their service. Hope it holds true. There are some positive things about this jointer, but I'm not in the mood to be too positive right now. Looks like I'll be making the glass/magnet knife setting jig that Per posted sooner than I thought.

I'll post pics for the police as soon as I figure it out...thanks for any input.

And COREY...if you read this...Happy Birthday
    - John Whittaker
    Last edited by john whittaker; 07-25-2005 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Problem Resolved