Thread: Bandsaw recommendation - sorry

Bandsaw recommendation - sorry

I know these "recommendation" questions come up all too frequently for some but I'm hoping you wouldn't mind one more. I'm trying to decide on that all-purpose 14" bandsaw. I'm torn between saving some money and going with the grizzly g0555 (1hp) with riser and the Jet JWBS-14x 710115K (1.25 hp). Is there going to be a significant difference in the extra .25 hp when it comes to resawing 6-8" of various hardwoods? Are there other quality features of the jet that would justify the extra cost? (about $200 difference). I'd also consider the Fisch 16" for $899 (not $8.99) which seems to be a complete package of features and a little extra hp (1.5) but can not find any reviews of this saw.

Ken
    Try this on for size - you can't go wrong with the price of ANY of these saws:
    http://www.redmond-machinery.com/specials.htm
    Maurice

Ken,
    It's not on your list but I have the Delta X5, 14" bandsaw (with 6" riser) and am very happyw ithg it. Plus, I have a review of it that talks about the features and has lots of photos so I don't have to explain everything again!
    I have a video in the review of the first 11 3/4"-resaw through red oak, glued up with opposing grain. It worked great. I also have a video of the tensioning system/release which I think should be required on all bandsaws by law.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...28-475rvu.html

Take a look, it's free to peek!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I think the only difference you'll see with an extra 1/4 HP is in feed rate, and not much at that. I have a 3/4 HP Ridgid and have been quite happy sawing veneers from 4"-wide hardwoods (I do have a riser block).

Through some cosmic fluke, I felt compelled to bid on a 1 1/2 HP Franklin 1725-RPM motor on Ebay and won it at a low price. So I may be in the market for a new pulley next:-)

If you go with a 14", be prepared to put an extra DC port and coupling in the lower cabinet, preferably 4" diameter. Resawing probably produces more fine sawdust than any other task in the shop, and 14" bandsaws are the least DC-ready machines. Most just have a 2 1/2" port under the table that look as though they were added as an afterthought. Iturra Designs sells a 4" replacement for the Delta machines, but it's easy enough to add your own, unless you're uncomfortable with cutting a new hole in the cabinet. This will make your bandsawing much more pleasant and mean a longer life for your tires and blade.

Thumbs up

Ken -

I recently purchased the Jet JWBS14X with riser (and timberwolf blades). So far I have been extremely pleased. The only resaw I have done to date is about 6" oak, but it went through that with no problems. It does have a 4" dust collection port by the lower wheel, and I have been happy with the collection. It does not have a second port near the table. I haven't looked at the Grizzly, but for the models I was comparing, the extra .25 horse and the quick tension lever sealed the deal on the Jet for me.

Ken,

I have the G0555 w/riser and have resawn up to 8" in various hardwoods pretty successfully. It has done all I've tried with no problems--although the 8" cocobolo was sloooow going. Hope that helps!

Keith

7. Ken,

I reciently bought the Fisch 16 inch band saw. I’m fairly pleased with it and plan at some point to write a review but for now I'll make a few comments.

Fit and finish are good - the frame is solid.

Some vibration - but then mine is on wheels. I can balance a nickle on the table but it is very wobbly and ususally falls down after a minute or so. The wheels are cast iron and look heavy.

A bigger table would be nice as would a micro adjustment.

The fence is extruded aluminum about 3" tall x 2" thick and locks down tight on one end but the other end floats so it's very sturdy but not rock solid in place.

The weakest point is in the blade giudes. They are eccentric bearing on a post held in place with a set screw and very touchy to adjust. The whole guide assembly is made of case iron and though very solid the tollarences are poor so precisly setting the guides is almost impossible. For instance the thrust bearing sags when you loosten its set screw so that if you set it then tighten thew screw it will move. Similar problem with the side bearings they have a tendency to rotate when you retighten the set screw and since the bearings are eccentricaly mounted to the shaft this changes the spacing from the blade.

Other than that I have no serious complaints but I also don't have any thing I can point to and say "that's great". However since I bought this saw to replace my Sears 12" saw that is at least 20 years old I'm basically happy with it by compairison.

I'd say if you are thinking of steping up from a 14" go ahead and step to an 18" . That's what I would do if I had it to do over. I found out after the fact that blades wider than 3/4" aren't recomended on any thing less than 18" wheels since they are also thicker and thus are suseptable to metal fatuge. Lenox doesn't recomend any of their carbide blades on less than 18" wheels. I may try their 1/2" blade as it is a little thinner.

By the way I'm new to the forum but so far have enjoyed the time spent here and have gotten several good tips.

Both Mini-Max and Laguna have some nice entry level saws that will be priced near the Frisch. I just checked teh MM web and they do not have theirs listed but you might want to call.