Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best blade for miter saw?

Blog Entries

Best blade for miter saw?

I am looking to make my Dewalt miter saw (non-sliding 10") more of a precision tool. I am putting in zero clearance inserts and making a ZC fence. I am looking for a full kerf blade with a negative hook angle. Nobody seems to make one. I've looked at freud, forrest, and tenryu.

I can get a blade that's full kerf, but not negative angle. Or I can get a thin kerf blade that IS negative angle.

What's best? Does it matter?

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,I been using the forrest chop master.The blade cuts almost perfect miters in hickory.I really have no complaints hickory is a tough wood to cut without blade wandering.Thats my vote.Aj

Amana makes a chopsaw blade that is almost full-kerf. It cuts a .115" kerf, 10 thousandths less than a full .125 kerf. http://www.amanatool.com/products/sa...-5-8-bore.html

And they also show a chopsaw blade with a 3 mm kerf. Maybe it is the same blade with different markings. http://www.agecuttingtools.com/sawbl...aw-blades.html
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 01-14-2015 at 10:28 AM.

I would look at saw blades for cutting non ferrous materials since they have Negative hook angle.LU94M010 Industrial Plastics Blade it might be what you're looking for .
    I just checked,the kerf is:.110 for this blade. but other non ferrous blades like ;LU89=.122 c/w -7°hook.
    Last edited by ken masoumi; 01-14-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Carbide Processors makes what you want. Tom, the owner is a Creeker. I get my blades through them and I'm extremely pleased with both the quality and the service.
    -Lud

Ridge Carbide RS 1000. I have one and it cuts great.

CPeter

I got one these for my Kapex: http://www.infinitytools.com/10-Mite...tinfo/010-280/

Better than the facrory blade and considerably less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Hi Andrew,I been using the forrest chop master.The blade cuts almost perfect miters in hickory.I really have no complaints hickory is a tough wood to cut without blade wandering.Thats my vote.Aj
    I have also been using the 12" version of the chopmaster and really like it. I have not felt the need to look at anything else.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I have also been using the 12" version of the chopmaster and really like it. I have not felt the need to look at anything else.

Steve
    Same for me.

I use a Freud LU85RO, 96 Tooth blade.

As long as the hook angle is reasonably low (~10° or less for a non-slider, ~ 5° or less for a slider), you don't need a negative angle . Infinity 010-280, Freud LU80, Forrest Chopmaster, Ridge Carbide RS1000, CMT 210.080.10...all excellent choices... some are negative hook, some not, but all have a sufficiently low hook angle. Full kerf should help with precision by preventing flexing....keep it clean and sharp too.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-14-2015 at 4:21 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

A couple months ago I bought a Tenryu MP-30560AB Miter Pro Plus 12" blade for my Bosch Axial Glide. It has -3 degree rake (hook) angle. I've not used a Chopmaster, but have had Freud, CMT and Onsrud miter saw blades. This Tenryu is the best blade I've used, ever. Smooth cuts in chop or slide mode, no lifting. I cut a lot of hardwood of all dimensions and this blade never bogs down.
    http://www.tenryu.com/mp.html
    The miter pro plus series are all negative rake. Got mine on Amazon for $117 and free shipping.

14. On a 10" miter saw I run an FS Tool LM6250 (80t 4 ATB+R-.112 kerf .087 plate 2* negative hook). It runs about $110 from Carbide.com. For work that is tougher on tooling I run a less expensive Amana AGE MD-10-806 (80t 4 H-ATB+TCG raker .110 kerf and .98 plate 5* negative hook). It's the heaviest plate I have seen on a 10" blade. $60 on Amazon. Both of these blades are designed for art framing so the carbide has very low side clearances to keep the blade from lifting grain when it is raised while it is still spinning. It's not always the best thing to do but when running trim it saves a couple of seconds per cut which adds up quick. The FS tool blade runs well on a sliding saw as well but I usually run 60t blades on tthese. The Amana is best suited to a normal miter saw.

The kerf doesn't matter nearly as much as the plate thickness but as a general rule the thicker the kerf the thicker the plate.

I own a Forrest Chopmaster and when sharp it cuts very well but the edge retention isn't close to what you can get out of industrial tooling for the same or less money. The same is true of the ATAF grind that Tenyru uses. Very clean cutting but doesn't hold up. I won't use Freud blades or bits. Too many brazing problems and the carbide is crazy brittle and prone to chipping under normal use. My sharpener dropped them because of so many problems.
    Last edited by JUSTIN HUISENGA; 01-14-2015 at 9:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Levine View Post
    I am looking for a full kerf blade with a negative hook angle. Nobody seems to make one. I've looked at freud, forrest, and tenryu.
    Maybe the fact that these major blade manufacturers don't make a negative hook, full kerf blade ought to tell you something.