Thread: Exterior Door Sealing - Where to find/buy supplies?

Exterior Door Sealing - Where to find/buy supplies?

Folks,

I am building an exterior door and jamb, and I want to make sure it seals well. Does anyone have a good source for information and solutions for sealing all around the door?

Thank

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post

This exactly. I like the WS39 urethane gasket for the jamb seal, and the adjustable version of WS25 in WS56 as a bottom seal against a shop made threshold. You can buy metal thresholds if that suits you, much easier than making one if you haven't been through the process before. Click the energy efficient building link, then the weather seals link.

Check the CR Laurance catalogue for metal thresholds. http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...?groupid=28809
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Wow, you folks nailed it. Information and supplier - exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks

I have built several exterior jambs. What you get at the lumber yard is a finger jointed pos, with a reasonably good sill and weatherstrip. What I did was just buy the door, throw away the jamb, saw out a preferred jamb, and reassemble. Built a house once with solid cedar siding, and the owner wanted matching door jambs. So I used rough sawn 2" thick cedar. When you purchase a prehung unit, you have pieces you can measure to get the groove in the right place for your weatherstrip, and fit the sill properly.

That's a good idea Jim. I will check the "Re-Store" used building supply houses and see what they have before I order new stuff. If nothing else I may get a better perspective on what solutions are our there.

For the jambs I prefer solid, not finger joint, and I prefer mahogany or similar. Cedar weathers well but doesn't hold screws at all, not a great choice for an active door. Plus it offers minimal strength at any reasonable thickness. Make the trim cedar....make the business parts ( jamb and threshold) from something more durable. Doug for can make a good jamb too if well painted and somewhat covered.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I see you are in OR and I suppose it doesn't get too cold there.
    For me, my mistake for me (when I built my door) was to use a door shoe (bottom) that was aluminum partly. It fails misrably in cold weather as you get condensation/frost inside. Replaced it with a cheap/ugly plastic one and problem solved.
    For seals around the jamb most likely any reasonable hardware supply around you will have the J-strips for the jamb seals, or better yet go to a local door shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm building a custom sized maple entry door right now and was really struggling to find the proper door bottom / sweep and jamb weather stripping options and came across this thread on a search. Went to this site and talked with them on the phone and found exactly what I'm looking for and the price is very reasonable.

I know this is 4 years old, but thanks for posting this link! Very helpful and I can see using them in the future in similar situations.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    I have conventional and exterior weather stripping. it works.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There's some really excellent interlocking metal options out there too, I never linked any of that because its somewhat fussy to install, there's an old fine home building article on exactly how to do it, requires significant coordination between jamb and door prep, multiple precise rabbits, etc. I use conservation tech for almost every door I build. Simple, effective, cost effective