Thread: Orbital Impressions

Orbital Impressions

Well, while I'm working on my pedestals for my other turning I thought I'd post this one that I just finished buffing today. It reminded me of an impression of a sun or nucleus with some planets or electrons orbiting around it. It is 9 3/4" at its widest point and is 1" thick. It can either be displayed vertically or horizontally. (I prefer the vertical placement.) It is red coolibula burl from Australia. It was dipped in a blend of oils and then Bealle buffed. C&C welcomed

Steve

Obital Impressions.jpg

That's really nice. An interesting contrast between the circular lines and the irregular edges. The color is beautiful too.
    USMC '97-'01

Adam, thanks for the comment.

I see you're from Sioux Falls. Spend 14 yrs in SD--3 in Edgemont, 7 in Dell Rapids and 4 in Brookings. If you ever need a good orthopedic dr. to go to try Dr. Bradley Reeves. He did one of my shoulders when he was here in Joplin.

Try rotating the display. The 'straight' edge on the left is a distraction and the balance seems off to put it at the bottom, but it looks like it works when at the top. I was curious, so I downloaded the image to rotate it. As Adam said, nice contrast between the regular circles and the uneven edge, nice display of the burl.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I also prefer to see it rotated as it appears to give it a better balance
    at the top.
    Lovely bit of work Steve, and yes, I am a little biased being an Aussie.
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

It didn't occur to me until it was said by Thom, but the rotation would do as described I think. Small world, Dr. Reeves also scoped my knee and I'll go to him when my hip eventually needs work. He's a good guy.
    USMC '97-'01

Very well done Steve, justice to a great burl! IMHO, wall art is what this is, and hung as Thom suggests.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The majority of my burl turnings are natural edge and this is a stellar example. My second thought also involved the distraction of the flat edge. I would place it on the bottom, kinda makes it look like you planned it that way as a base. Gorgeous at any angle.