Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canadians Purchasing Tools in the United States

Mreza, the machines I am considering importing are the Jet 15" Planer, Jet Drill Press, and Jet Mortiser.

In regards to the 15" Planer, if I go Laguna or Powermatic am I getting a greater quality for the additional cost? Jet looks to be very solid at a competitive price.

Unfortunately Jet isn't imported to my area so I am going solely on reviews and other peoples opinions.
    Brye Goodspeed

Can't believe the discussion about how to break the law. Is that really a good idea?

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Nobody here is advocating lawbreaking, however, info sharing on how to exploit existing regulations is not wrong.

The borders are under increasing surveillance and just because you don't see the watchers does not mean you are not being observed, assume you are watched and behave accordingly.

Never worth it to lie to CBSA as they have all the aces and now know exactly when you left Canada. Your vehicle, trailer, and contents can all be seized. It is just not worth it to save a few hundred dollars.

Sometimes you get lucky at a busy crossing and the agent passes you through for smaller items, but not always.

Honesty is always the best policy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

I think if you spend over 48 hrs in the US, you'll get a much lower taxation rate. Might be worth it on a big ticket item.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One consideration if you are going to self-import is relative to warranty status...you may be on your own or have to return across the border if you have issues that would normally be considered under warranty when the product is purchased and placed in service under the manufacturer's normal terms and conditions. This may very well apply to a manufacturer who does not normally sell in Canada. In some arenas, products purchased and moved like this are considered "gray market" and are ineligible for warranty coverage.
    This ^^^^

No opinion on what anyone should or shouldn't do but I know that with our machinery, the buyer is screwed if he resides outside the country of purchase and needs warranty support. Also, I believe that at least in shops, Canadian machines require CSA compliance on electrical components, something we don't realy do here in the US. So, there is that potential liability issue for shops or businesses. But maybe for a hobby guy, it doesn't matter.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

Brye, are you a member of Canadian woodworking forum? You might get a lot more suggestions if you post your question there.
    I have purchased tools across the border myself but not very frequently. You need to really check into all your options as I think in most cases the savings are very little (if any) and are not worth the extra hassles/dangers. Jet is not allowed to sell in Canada because of the brand name registered here.
    I have only one powermatic machine (3520B lathe) and I purchased it from a US dealer that would drop ship free (without any extra costs) at my door. I can't compare the quality of this to other brands as there is no other lathe similar to this but I suspect you can find brands that are about the same level of Jet at least for the machines you are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    This ^^^^

No opinion on what anyone should or shouldn't do but I know that with our machinery, the buyer is screwed if he resides outside the country of purchase and needs warranty support. Also, I believe that at least in shops, Canadian machines require CSA compliance on electrical components, something we don't realy do here in the US. So, there is that potential liability issue for shops or businesses. But maybe for a hobby guy, it doesn't matter.

Erik Loza
    Minimax
    Hi Erik, the Canadian Electrical Code doesn't distinguish between hobby or commercial use.

All electrical items must carry an indication of approval to Canadian Standards before power is applied.............Regards, Rod.

Interesting to note that many Grizzly tools are now CSA certified.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Interesting to note that many Grizzly tools are now CSA certified.
    Smart move on their part............Rod.

Interesting: Thanks, Rod.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Erik, the Canadian Electrical Code doesn't distinguish between hobby or commercial use.

All electrical items must carry an indication of approval to Canadian Standards before power is applied.............Regards, Rod.
    I think the rules may be different depending on the province.

The thing I've often wondered is how a strict CSA-approval is supposed to work for home-built equipment. If I take CSA-listed wire/switch/motor/plug and hook it all up, the resulting tool is *not* CSA-listed. (Since the assembly as a whole hasn't been validated.) And yet people do this all the time. Lee Valley sells a belt sander that requires you to install your own motor/switch/wire/plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    I think the rules may be different depending on the province.

The thing I've often wondered is how a strict CSA-approval is supposed to work for home-built equipment. If I take CSA-listed wire/switch/motor/plug and hook it all up, the resulting tool is *not* CSA-listed. (Since the assembly as a whole hasn't been validated.) And yet people do this all the time. Lee Valley sells a belt sander that requires you to install your own motor/switch/wire/plug.
    I'm not aware of any Canadian jurisdictions that don't use that clause from the CEC.

Yes people break the law all the time, no issues until something goes wrong, or you get caught..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    ....Yes people break the law all the time, no issues until something goes wrong, or you get caught..........Rod.
    I once asked one our brand managers why it was that some of our competitors were able to offer the Euro-style "bridge" guard for their joiner/planers, which is not OSHA-approved here in the US, while we are only able to ship machines with the OSHA-approved pork shop-style guard.

His reply was, "Probably because they haven't been sued yet".

Erik Loza
    Minimax

Lake Erie or St.Clair depending on location. LOL
    I just got my Grizzly G0441 3hp cyclone delivered today.Driver wheeled it right into the shop for me.
    They subtract the broker fee off the list price too. Broker calls to verify credit card when machine gets to the border ( American side) before it comes in. When they verify # they tell you what the charge will be. mine was just taxes and broker fee no duty. Grizzly customer service very good as far as making a change to the order and helping track shipment. Shipping was $160. but in the shopping cart before putting in Canadian address it was $99.
    Considering the thing weighed 400lbs +, and there is zero selection up here I found that not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Load it all onto a boat and sail across Lake Ontario / Huron / Superior.
    Or get David Masters to carry it across in his canoe ...