Thread: Round Rasp

Blog Entries

Round Rasp

I thought I might give you a heads up. I wanted a round rasp and was looking for one. I found a 3/8" round Narex rasp on Amazon. It's not an Ariou, but is a nice tool.
    It leaves a nice surface, only requiring a bit of scraping to finish the task.

I had no idea that Narex was importing more tools other than the chisels Lee Valley offers.

I needed it to do some shaping on a saw tote.

Thanks for the info. I wonder what the cabinet makers rasp is like, for the price I might just order it and give it a go.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Blog Entries
    I have the cabinet makers rasp. The Narex is not a substitute for the cabinet makers rasp. The cabinet makers rasp is worth the investment.

I needed the small round rasp for carving the handle above the blade slot. I only had a round file, which could do the job, but I preferred the rasp. I went looking for the rasp and found it. It was delivered in two days.

If you look at the carving on the Lie Nielsen carcass saw tote, you will see the carving I was working on. I am copying the Lie Nielsen carving.

I don't really need any more rasps, but at $20 I thought the narex cabinet makers rasp might be worth a try, but sounds like not. Post a pic of your tote!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I thought I might give you a heads up. I wanted a round rasp and was looking for one. I found a 3/8" round Narex rasp on Amazon.
    Suddenly my cart is close to $400 AND they deliver to South Africa!

Eish, thanks mate
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

OOOOH, thanks for the tip, Lowell.

A guy can never have too many rasps. I do agree that for large shaping, the quality shines, but in tight spaces for smoothing transitions, I think the quality difference blurs.

Clicking now.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-04-2015 at 4:03 PM.