Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now for something totally different! (chainsaws)

Unless you know how to work on a chainsaw, or want to learn how, buy a saw from a local saw shop who can service it for you. Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar - they are all good and will run for years if used properly and serviced regularly. If you value weight, or lack of it I should say, then buy a pro quality saw. With Stihl, that's the white handled ones, with Husky the XP's (unless they've changed). They are easier to work on, too, when needed, which will be less often. In my opinion, the Stihl MS 361 and Husky 371XP (or whatever the new models are) are about the two best all round saws made, light enough to use all day, big enough to take down anything up to 24" or so.

John

Blog Entries
    FWIW you can cover all your realistic cutting needs with a 45cc saw. I cut firewood for years with an Alpina Prof45 on a 185 acre farm where wood was the main source of heat. i dont recall a single instance where the alpina wasn't enough saw to get the job done.

That said my 79cc dolmar gets things done considerably faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Well I'll be the first one to suggest Dolmar/Makita. Great power to weight, some nice features and even though they they are pro saws they can be found for good prices. The 7900 is the saw to have in the dolmar line, but may be more than you need/want.
    +1. The 7900 (now the 7910) is defenitely the best saw out there for the money.

My dad used to have a part time fire wood business, cleared building lots, turned the logs into fire wood. I was a frequent conscript. He started with Sthil but switched to mainly Husquavarna, he felt they were more reliable long term and easier to start, less vibration, and the heated grips don't suck. He had a lot of different saws over the years and the huski's were always the most likely to be used.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I bought a Husqvarna 450 this year with a 20" blade and it is a great saw. -Howard

Really enjoy my 266 Husky. An animal in fire wood. Unfortunately, you can't buy that size any more. What were they thinking! Still Husky or Jonsered is a good brand name to start with. Greg

I have a sawmill and use chainsaws all the time.

If you plan on cutting down trees you'll need more than 1 saw IMO. One large saw for the big stuff, a medium sized saw for the in between stuff, and a small limbing saw for trimming and cleanup.
    I have a bunch of Stihl saws that have worked well for me over the decades.

I have my grandpa's "old blue" Homelite XL-12. Can't kill the darn thing, but it's heavy, has no brake, a manual oiler, and none of the vibration dampening of newer saws. If I were in the market for a new saw, it'd probably be a Stihl - plenty of parts and repair places around here.
    ~Garth

Just had to replace my 25+ year old Stihl (48" bar) and even older Echo (18" bar) two weeks ago. Did a bunch of research and talked to my logging buddies (I live in the Great NW). Husky & Stihl were the main choices with the final decision being personal preference. With similar criteria to yours, I chose the Stihl MS 291 with a 20" bar and a more agressive chain than the stock issue. Pretty light at under 12 lbs and 55.5 cm3 displacement. So far, bucking a 26" butt - 80' tall fir that layed down across the community drive, it has been great.

Husky 357XP is my favorite saw right now. I like the way it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    I have my grandpa's "old blue" Homelite XL-12. Can't kill the darn thing, but it's heavy, has no brake, a manual oiler, and none of the vibration dampening of newer saws. If I were in the market for a new saw, it'd probably be a Stihl - plenty of parts and repair places around here.
    I have a Homelite C51, which makes your XL12 seem like a lightweight. It was my grandpa's saw so I keep it around and make a couple of cuts every couple of years.

Makes me appreciate my new saws!

Can't go wrong with Stihl or Husquavarna. I purchased a new Stihl 029 about 24 years ago when we built our home on a 4ac wooded lot. No telling how many ricks (not cords, I live in the south) of firewood that saw has cut. It is still going strong. I would check with a local sawshop to see which brand you can receive after purchase support.

Blog Entries
    One thing that applies to all saws: None of them cut worth a darn without a sharp chain. Sharpening is a bit of an art with a learning curve, I still haven't got it figured out 100%.
    NOW you tell me...

While there may be numerous brands that give many people reliable service, Stihl and Husky are the industry leaders and it will be easier to find a good dealer for these brands near your home. Also easier to find a dealer if you relocate. Know that both Stihl and Husky make a pro line of saws that generally have aluminum or magnesium crankcases and premium parts and a homeowners line of saws that have plastic crankcases and parts that they engineer for value or low cost. If you truly don't care about the cost, get a pro level saw from a dealer you like.

I'm no expert but thought I would add that I have a Husqvarna Rancher 55 that I use for light duty use, cutting the occasional tree or larger branches. It leaks gas like crazy. I also know three other people with Husqvarna's (unknown models) that complain of leaking gas too. I don't know if that's a known issue with their saws or if it's a just a coincidence. Other than that, it starts easily and has little vibration so in that regard it's a good saw. With that said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy another well reviewed brand.