Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile Base for Jointer

image.jpg
    This one I made from a Harbor Freight movers dolly. I removed the carpet padding and added a couple of boards to support the jointer.

With every mobile base, you've got assorted different design considerations that have to be balanced against your needs.

The first is clearance. How much clearance will you need when moving the machine? Do you have a dead level and clear floor so that 1/4" to 1/2" clearance is enough? Or will you need more moving clearance for whatever reasons? If you need more clearance, keep in mind the potential for high centering in some circumstances.

A second consideration related to the first is ease of mobilizing. Anything that has a lot of clearance is likely to need some sort of pivot/cam action for some/all of the wheels.

A third consideration is interference. This basically relates to how much the mobile base intrudes into your work/foot space and such.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

3. Ian, sorry, I haven't checked the forum for a while, been travelling for work. I have had no issue with the shop fox bases that I have bought. I have one under my PM 66 and my Delta 17" DP and HD shaper and these are older restored machines (Yes, I am an OWWM guy too, anything newer than 1970 doesn't reside in my shop) and these things are incredibly heavy for their size. The bases work fine with them and I have had no problems with the bases.

Shop Fox is discussed in this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...disentagrating
    Apparently the wheels fall apart after a while.

I made a base out of 2x6s, 4" wheels, and a piece of ply for the bottom. Had my 8" Griz on it. Not a light machine and it worked great.

1106091929a.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I know this old but I just got a htc2000 base for my jointer and it was easy to put together and I wish I had bought the base the second I got the jointer.