Thread: Toy Chest for niece

Toy Chest for niece

My niece requested a toy chest for her first baby. All she gave me were rough dimensions of the finished chest and left everything else up to me. (Which is how I like to work)

18" high x 40 " long x 20" deep. Red oak

I put drawers on the bottom with a lift up top. Without the drawers, the little guy will need to reach all the way down to the bottom to get something.

Thanks for looking.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. I really like the addition of the side and back boards on the top. 25 years from now it's easy to see a cushion on top, and the chest at the end of a bed.

I might have used different pulls, probably solid wood all the way across the drawers, only because little guys like to climb, but it's a wonderful design and execution.
    What did you use for internal closure assemblies ?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Hey Bill,
    I too just built my grandson (1 year old) a toy box/blanket chest similar to yours. What he does is pull out the drawers and stands in them to get his toy's. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Nice toy box by the way.

I used these hinges for my top. Pricey but very nice and they work well. Very easy to install. http://www.rockler.com/search/go?w=torsion%20hinges

Red
    RED

I used a closer for the top from a cabinet hardware supply shop. It doesn't close slow enough, so I may need to buy another (have one on both sides) or get a a heavier duty one.

The drawers are on 100 lb rated slides and have a soft close feature.

The hinge is a full length piano hinge. I mounted the hinge so there would be an air gap at the back of the lid.

I debated about wooden pulls but I thought it might be used as a step and break off.

Good job!!!
    Jerry

Great job.

I love this sort of roject. Good looking well executed, and bound to be enjoyed by the end user.