Thread: Half gloat...

Half gloat...

...half post purchase trauma. I was cutting skirt boards on Saturday when the base plate bolt on my Bosch jigsaw stripped out, out of the blue, during a minor adjustment. No excessive torque. No warning. So today, I went to the woodworkers supply and with trembling hands, plonked down for a Festool Carvex PS 420. I'm not at all averse to paying good money for good tools but I never saw myself laying down so much for a jigsaw. I am a little concerned that this could lead to FAD (Festool Acquisition Disorder).
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

It is truly a slippery slope.

Sorry,
    Around here we call that drinking the green koolaid. They are great tools though. Enjoy

Curt

Brett,
    Once you buy green and black there's no turning back. Congratulations!!!

You have 30 days to return it! I haven't tried the carvex, I use the other festool jig saw at work and don't really care for it, I'd spend my money on a metabo or a good bosch first and spend the difference on blades and wood. That soft start thing on a variable speed tool that makes curves is just dumb and annoying, no value there to me. I'm all in with the track saws, dominos and sanders, the rest of the line up they can keep. Well, the routers are real nice too, just that my money tree doesn't give enough fruit to make sense of the price.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I got quite intoxicated on the green kool-aid the past couple months... My shop and projects love it, my fiancé not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    You have 30 days to return it!
    Yep, that's an option and if it turns out that the barrel grip ergonomics don't work for me, I'll swap it for the traditional handle. I just don't know yet if it's the grip or my RA that made my hand ache a bit while using it.

I haven't tried the carvex, I use the other festool jig saw at work and don't really care for it, I'd spend my money on a metabo or a good bosch first and spend the difference on blades and wood
    I'm not familiar enough with Metabo and it's not available locally. My broken jigsaw is a Bosch and I like the brand...I have handful, in fact...but I wanted to upgrade a bit and what was available in town didn't fit the bill. I wanted to get back to work and didn't want to pay express shipping to Alaska, so I decided to swing for the fence with the Festool from the only woodworking shop in town.

...my money tree doesn't give enough fruit to make sense of the price.
    I raided my change jar to take the sting out of it. I rationalized that if I could make up all/part of the difference between the Festool and a Bosch (or equivalent) it wouldn't be so bad.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    Those nice tools will NOT keep you warm in the winter!

Dude. You're hosed. :-)
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krusen View Post
    I got quite intoxicated on the green kool-aid the past couple months... My shop and projects love it, my fiancé not so much.
    You can always find another woman. Good tools though - different story. Stay the course.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    .. I am a little concerned that this could lead to FAD (Festool Acquisition Disorder).
    I can see a Sawstop in your future,maybe you already got one?.

Wear gloves.

There's a coating on the Festool products that
    administers the addictive compounds.

Unobtanium, and Excess funds eradicating oxide.