Thread: warped armoire oak top need help!!

warped armoire oak top need help!!

A friend of my doughter built a armoire out of oak in woodshop in high sahool 4 years agao and her crackhead (literaly)husband left it sitting out in the weather at his parents house when they had to move . It sat out for six months and the top warped and cracked i dont think i can save it but i told her i would ask the experts , so here are a couple pics. Any advise or should i just make a new top and refinish the whole thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Bud
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Time for a new top and a lesson learned.

The wood selection was fatal...those are the first boards outboard of the pith with vertical grain flanking short, weak horizontal grain. Guaranteed to keep on moving and cracking regardless of the fix.

Look at the top picture at "A" and you can see what the grain near the pith looks like....exactly where that top cracked:

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I guess you could fill it up with glue and clamp it all to death. I would just buy a couple of oak boards and make a new top. Then there is the question of who gets it in the divorce settlement.

I think it's time for a new QSWO top. No matter what you do it won't look the same anyway. About the only fix I would attempt would be to run it thru a bandsaw and try to cut out all the cracks, and then reglue it and plane it back down. A lot of work and it would probably not look too great. It sucks to have negligence trash something that is important to you.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    SOLUTION:

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    SOLUTION:

Now, Ken.....don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.