Thread: Latest BLM bowl

Latest BLM bowl

I must admit I have been among the lazy lurkers and haven't posted pics in a while. I also have few photos to document completed projects, since re-homed. Here are a few pics of my latest, as yet unsigned, bowl. I've taken a liking to the extreme with the heavy wall thickness. Not exactly your typical salad bowl but I can see some potential.
    Please feel free, or rather obligated to apply a critic, just not too harsh. BLM-some burl, some not. About ten inches diameter and 4 1/2" tall. Minwax Tung Oil Finish, four coats and burnished w/ 0000 steel wool. A fair bit of heavy spalt requiring stabilizing (OK, actually rot and very soft on places). I saturated about 20% of the piece with Minwax wood hardener three or four times and once cured, it cuts very nice.
    David

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I like it. I like the heavy duty look of the bowl. I've got to ask...what is BLM? Thanks.

Red
    RED

Very nice shape. I really like your rim treatment. Sometimes chuckiness is the best way to go. Thinner walls and keeping it in one piece would have been iffy. All in all, a really nice piece.
    Joe

Wow. That was one nasty rotten piece of wood, but you made it look really great. I really like your bottom... uh errr um, I mean the bottom of your bowl.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I really like the shape and that piece of Bigleaf maple/broadleaf/Oregon Maple (BLM) is beautiful. Not really a critique, but rather personal preference...I would have had second thoughts about adding texture to such a nice piece of wood. It doesn't really need any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Bigleaf maple/broadleaf/Oregon Maple (BLM)
    Thank you.

Red
    RED

Way to go David. Keep em coming.
    Last edited by Hayes Rutherford; 01-22-2015 at 1:43 PM.

I like the shape of the bowl and the finish work looks awesome. I'm also not in favor of the texturing done on that band, perhaps it looks too 'machined' or something. The 'old' look of this piece seems like it would be more interesting to carve or rout some short flutes in that area instead...just a thought. Alternatively, they could have been place on the top rim, between some small beads.
    I'd agree with comments that this could have been lightened up a bit on wall thickness, at least the appearance from the top.
    Regardless of all that, they are minor points truly, and this would make a fine showing on any table/display area.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks for the thoughts and comments.
    Looking at the pics I am in agreement that it looks a bit clunky and the texture seems out of place. I don't get to same feel looking at the bowl, the wall thickness and the rugged material are a good mix, although the texture is unnecessary. Perhaps the close up photos, perhaps my bias due to the effort, but will keep these thoughts in mind when working up the next iteration.
    and RED, sorry about the abbreviation. I too am often frustrated with the endless list of these multiple letter shorthand un-words popping up all over.

Not a bowl turner, yet, but curious as to how you did the texturing. Thanks Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Wow, that is beautiful. I like the heaviness of it, it compliments the knarliness of the wood really well.

Texture is one of the simplest of turning procedures. You can purchase a tool manufactured for wood or use a machinist's knurling tool. Spin piece at low speed with significant pressure by the tool and voila, texture. Pressure required to imprint hard burl is pretty firm so I apply it when the form is not yet hollowed, less likely to break something.

nice bowl,

Maybe in keeping with the "aged look" if the texture have a coat of milk paint and then sanded back to have it look "used". A solid color on the texture might look odd, but with some scuffing to it may add a different for the next one.