Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DARN IT!! Table Saw DIED !!!!

DARN IT!! Table Saw DIED !!!!

DARN IT !!!

After 18 years of faithful service, my Sears Craftsman Contractors table saw with the Cast Iron wings has called it quits !!! Oh, it starts, but the tilt handle on the right hand side of the table saw is stripped out and the threaded bar it turns just will not turn. Something on it is all seized up. I think after 18 years of hard work sawing 8/4 through 12/4 Hardwoods of various species, it just had enough !!

Now, I got the 2015 GRIZZLY CATALOG coming in the mail soon, so there may be a bright light at the end of this pause in Woodworking !!

Any suggestions on a Grizzly table saw for a basement workshop ?

Blog Entries
    Just got my big fat Grizzly catalog yesterday. Quite a few choices for a 10" table saw. Personally I have had the 1023 right tilt for probably 15 years and love it. I have a skinny basement shop, but managed to squeeze in a long set of aftermarket rails (HTC no longer made).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-22-2015 at 6:20 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Oh man, I feel your pain. My Delta contractor's table saw is coming up on 40 years old. Losing it will be like losing an old friend, PLUS I'll have to replace it ASAP.

I read good things here about the Grizzly's. My advice would be to decide how much is the most you are willing to spend and then buy the next more expensive model.

See Grizzly is selling a model G0623x,which features a 78 1/2" sliding table, scoring blade, outrigger, everything you would get with a 79-48 Hammer for less than half the price of the Hammer. Does anyone on the forum have one of these saws? It is 2995 plus 150 shipping.

I don't know if these are a new model from SawStop but I did see these job site table saws that are on a dolly. Thwy were at HIghland woodworking but I am guessing they are available from all SawStop dealers. Thought it was kind of a neat idea to have it mobile like that.

I have the Grizzly G1023RLX and love it. Great saw with large capacity cutting. Plenty of power. Fit and finish is awesome. Great saw.

Red
    RED

That should be an easy enough fix, a set screw is all that connects the wheel to the threaded rod, take the wheel or handle off (whichever you have) and see if you need to file a new edge on the rod. If it is rounded over just use an file and put another flat edge on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hendricks View Post
    That should be an easy enough fix, a set screw is all that connects the wheel to the threaded rod, take the wheel or handle off (whichever you have) and see if you need to file a new edge on the rod. If it is rounded over just use an file and put another flat edge on it.
    I think what is going on here is more along the lines of "I finally have an excuse to buy a new saw"

Quote Originally Posted by David Hendricks View Post
    You should be perma-banned for discouraging the purchase of a new tool.

I vote for the Grizzly G1023RL. I have one and love it.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 01-22-2015 at 9:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave zellers View Post
    i think what is going on here is more along the lines of "i finally have an excuse to buy a new saw"
    exactly.

Do any of the Contractor or Hybrid table saws have 4 inch openings for a regular dust hose to hook up to my Jet DC-650 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    exactly.
    Yes.....this exactly!

This is an OPPORTUNITY..... Not an event to mourn.....a carpe diem moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    DARN IT !!!

After 18 years of faithful service, my Sears Craftsman Contractors table saw with the Cast Iron wings has called it quits !!! Oh, it starts, but the tilt handle on the right hand side of the table saw is stripped out and the threaded bar it turns just will not turn. Something on it is all seized up. I think after 18 years of hard work sawing 8/4 through 12/4 Hardwoods of various species, it just had enough !!

Now, I got the 2015 GRIZZLY CATALOG coming in the mail soon, so there may be a bright light at the end of this pause in Woodworking !!

Any suggestions on a Grizzly table saw for a basement workshop ?
    Well. I think you got your money's worth from your last saw, Clarence.

I have a basement shop. My Unisaw hast he 52" extension w/Biese fence, making it right at 6' wide. I have a ply table on the outfeed side, so the total surface is 6' x 6'. It fits fine, and it is a great surface for finishing, assembly, whatever for stuff that won't fit on my workbench, or is not convenient to do there for whatever reason.

So - yeah - it is certainly doable, of that is what you are wondering. As far as Grizz - there are one big bunch of guys here that have them.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Found this on the Sears website. Don't know if it is a discontinued model

Craftsman Professional 1-3/4 HP Premium Hybrid 10" Table Saw (22116)

Is this saw worth the money ? It's got a Granite top!!

I've had the Ridgid version for several years and like it. No rust! Glue scrapes off with a razor blade.