Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation for durable 1 5/8" hole saw

Need recommendation for durable 1 5/8" hole saw

Anyone with experience? I am considering a project that will require cutting hundreds of 1 5/8" holes in 1/2" hardwood. What type/brand of hole cutter is likely to give the best performance for the longest time? A cursory search of hole saws show "carbide tipped" and full carbide. Often the information talks of cutting metal. These are not inexpensive and I would like to avoid making a mistake.

Thanks for any help.

Carbide forstner bit. Good with the drill press. Free hand, not so much.

Any recommendations top quality brand(s) for this? I will assuredly be using a drill press.

Tool (upper left) made to drill all day in wood. AKA: 3 wing carbide drill/cutter.

Thanks for the info Pat. That sure looks like a great option. If my product idea takes off, the price would not be an issue. At around $180, I may try to wear out a cabide forstner on protoypes and early production before getting one of those. I appreciate your input. I would not have found this idea just googling.

Specifically...the best (or better)brand forstner bit, I can't tell you. I have a couple 1 3/8" for European hinges I bought YEARS ago. I do not have a manufacturer name on the bit. These forstner bit have lasted a long time (and they still work great). The carbide has lasted so much longer than the regular forstner bit. The regular forstner bit have tendency to dull so soon and start burning. So I'll take a gamble and recommend you the Roman carbide forstner bit offered by amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...r+bits+1+5%2F8

The Roman bit looks very much like what I have and for under 18 bucks, you can't go so wrong.

Thanks for the feedback Bill. Much appreciated.

I use Forstner bits by Freud and CMT Orange Tools. Both have worked great and done all that I ask of them.

Ron

I would give WL Fuller in Rhode Island a call. If it's used to drill or bore a hole, they make it. They also do custom work.

Here is a link to their catalog. The bits you're looking for start on page 72, or 73.

http://wlfuller.com/html/catalog.html
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

A holesaw doesn't work real well in the usual drill press. The problem is that the saw has no way to clear the sawdust. It stays in the cut and interferes with the cutting action. The saw blade heats up, and can even scorch the workpiece. When used horizontally, like a plumber uses it, the holesaw works much better because the sawdust can drip out.

Blog Entries
    I have a bit like Pat is suggesting and have used it for countersinking a bolt head in aluminum. But it requires a pilot hole first, which would slow down any production run. A "hole saw" is not what you want for production work, ejecting the plug is a pain and they just aren't as accurate as to diameter as they tend to wobble. Go with a carbide Forstner. They cut very fast. As with any bit, tear out on the bottom can be a problem if you don't back it up. For production, I would look at backing it up with an aluminum plate and a quick hold down clamp.
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks Matt, I'm generally pleased with my router bits from either brand.

Ron, just don't buy cheap !!!!!

I just bought a cheap 2 1/2" Forstner bits when I got it I don't think it would cut hot butter, I had to sharpen it first which took a while, it was really dull.

I have been drilling 2" to 2 1/4" holes in 3/8" stock and found the best way is to have a jig to set the work part in and drill just a little short of all the way though. Then flip the part over and drill it from the other side, makes for a better looking cut and you don't get tear out.

Thanks Bill, I learned that lesson also. Even with a sharp bit there is a good chance for tear-out, especially if your speed of cut is too fast. I think I will stick to a name brand, carbide tipped bit.

With that many holes, how about FAMAG brand forstner bits.. FWW rated FAMAG brand bits the best forstner bits, a 1 5/8" is going to run $55 - 60..