Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need recommendation for durable 1 5/8" hole saw

+1 on FAMAG. They come in two grades. Get the BOREMAX.
    Last edited by Erich Larson; 01-23-2015 at 7:00 PM.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,180,42240
    In the large factories and commercial shops the multi spur or sawtooth bits are the go to bits. HSS bits of this type are easy to quickly sharpen. Fuller, Morris Woodtool, Forest city used to be go guys. We find the Lee Valley saw tooth just as good for a better price. Carbide is better for thousands of holes in melamine, laminate, particle board but HSS will be fine for your needs. Not to be confused with softer carbon steel.

Thanks for your input Rick. Are you saying the trade-off for HSS vs Carbide is ease of sharpening vs longer life without sharpening and HSS will give me hundreds of holes between sharpenings?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    Thanks for your input Rick. Are you saying the trade-off for HSS vs Carbide is ease of sharpening vs longer life without sharpening and HSS will give me hundreds of holes between sharpenings?
    Yes. For $16.80 try the lee valley saw tooth bits. Easily can drill hundreds of holes. Forstner bits are over rated as most haven't used the other options it appears. Having spent 45 years in factories and commercial shops Iv'e seen more than the FWW subscriber. Iv'e dealt extensively with the major tooling makers and sharpening services.

I consider myself a neophyte at woodworking and getting info from those that have done it / lived it is so much better than reading marketing blather Thanks again.