Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scroll saw help

scroll saw help

Good day, I am looking to buy a good quality scroll saw. I like the Delta 40-694. The specifications look good and the reviews are good. Just wondering if any of you have this saw and your feelings on it. Or do you like another saw and why"?
    Thanks for the help!!
    Jeffrey
    Last edited by Jeffrey Cole; 01-23-2015 at 1:36 PM.
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

Search for reviews on the Delta. Look especially for comments by people who use scroll saws a lot, such as a scroll saw forum. I've used the Dewalt and I own a Hawk RBI. Both of those are good scroll saws. I don't know the Delta. Many people are afraid of anything made by Delta because they are concerned about the stability of the company and the availability of spare parts.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Being too lazy to look that up, Jeffrey, one valuable thing to have in a scrollsaw is variable speed. I wouldn't consider a scrollsaw without it. Another tip is get a foot control for it. Finally, having some way to blow the sawdust out of your line of sight is quite nice. Some saws have this built it (but it working well, I'm not so sure) but you can rig your own with an aquarium pump.

Oh, blade changes are something to look at. If it is painful to change the blade (you have to do it from under the table or tensioning is a pain, etc.), you are going to hate your scrollsaw.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have a DeWalt DW788 which is a 20" saw. It is a great saw which you can find used in the $250 to $350 range with a light and stand. The Delta 40-694, also a 20" saw, is an updated version of the DW788 or rather the Delta 40-690 which was a copy of the DW788 in Delta colors. It should be a great saw if the quality is anything like it's predecessor.

However, if I were looking to buy new, I would look at the Excalibur line of scroll saws by General International. They have a 16", 21" and 30" version. They are more expensive than the Delta, but just something to consider.

If you don't mind buying used, then look at the DeWalt DW788, preferably a Type 1, which was made in Canada for DeWalt by Sommervile Design back in the 90's. Hegner's, RBI's, and Excalibur's are also good to look out for.

What to look for in general:
    Pinless blades
    Cast iron table
    Variable speed
    Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 01-23-2015 at 6:04 PM.

And if you want a really expensive scroll saw, look at the Eclipse Only $1,750 new. There used to be a waiting list of people to buy those.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moscicki View Post
    I have a DeWalt DW788 which is a 20" saw.
    Version A was made in the US. Version B was made in Asia. The B version doesn't get very high marks.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 01-23-2015 at 7:06 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hegner is also another top of the line scroll saw and still in production today. You should also take into consideration what you are going to do with it.....
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

One thing would be to keep an eye out on CL for a good used one. I bought my Hegner saw that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    And if you want a really expensive scroll saw, look at the Eclipse Only $1,750 new. There used to be a waiting list of people to buy those.

Mike
    I've sent an email to that guy once a year for the past 3 years. They've all come back as the address either not existing or being full and/or no longer accepting communications. In my two classes I've taken at David Marks studio up in Santa Rosa, he tried the same with this guy but manage to get him on the phone. David swears the guy is senile or on drugs or both. David bought the Excalibur brand. I may go that route if I can find a used one nearby.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Another vote for the Excalibur saw. I have the 20" and I love it; I have put 70+ hours on it doing fretwork. The tilting head is nice. A lot of scrollers use the Dewalt professionally. Delta might be an issue to get parts from.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Have only used the Dewalt DW788. Been very happy with it. I actually have 2. The first was bought new and the 2nd used off of craigslist.
    Lori K

I just took delivery of the Delta 694. I wanted the 695 with stand and light but it isn't available, so I bought the Dewalt stand. Same footprint excep the 694 is longer. The top arm locks up, and there are clearly other changes but nobody seems to know what they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it depends on what you will use the scroll saw for. I had a DeWalt and killed it in 20 months cutting 3/4" and thicker hardwoods. I now have a Hegner that can do that kind of cutting 5-8 hours a day. If I were just doing fretwork on thin plywood a DeWalt would work OK.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

If you want the peace of mind of buying new the DeWalt DW788 is on sale for $499.99 with stand and light at Woodcraft.

However, I still would either buy an Excalibur or a used scroll saw.

I have a Dewalt 788 and an excaliber scroll saw. I primarily cut 3/8" ply and some 3/4" hardwood. My first dewalt died and had to be repaired after 10 months, my local repair center botched it and gave me a refund-a whole other story. I bought an excaliber and that broke after 4 months. While waiting for the parts to repair, I bought another 788. That one has been going for about 10 months, but makes a knocking sound within the arm. I fear it will fail soon.
    I prefer the 788 for two reasons, it cuts at a faster rate (faster strokes per minute) and the top of the excaliber is coated with a teflon like material which flakes off. Also, the 788 can be had for around 500 on sale, paid over 800 for the excaliber.

All this being said, when these die I'll be getting a Hegner.