Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Laser not cutting

screenshot.jpg
    Here is the screenshot.

Also; just removed the lens from the laser, and it appears it has been burnt, would this be the source of the issue?

unnamed.jpg

Yes that's a good place to start. Dirty optics make for big lines. I try to clean my optics more often when I notice a lot of smoke being generated.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

i have only had the laser for over a week , surely it should not be like this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Preston View Post
    i have only had the laser for over a week , surely it should not be like this ?
    Sometimes I clean my optics multiple times a day depending on what I cut.

It looks like a cheap lens. I try and stick with the higher quality stuff. Usually a higher quality lense costs me about $50 as opposed to the $24 cheapies I have seen.

You can tell the difference between a good quality lens by its translucency. Cheap ones are cloudy and good ones are relatively transparent.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Preston View Post
    Also; just removed the lens from the laser, and it appears it has been burnt, would this be the source of the issue?

unnamed.jpg
    Rob, did you have your air assist on? I would try to clean with DNA or Windex and if it comes out clean re-install. It will need replaced sooner or later. You need to do a Search on here on how to check your optics and mirror alignment. Mine was off when received and you need to check and learn how to align the mirrors. Could be nothing wrong except that.
    To do a quick check for Vector cutting create a box in your laser control software, pick or select and in the Layers menu Set as Cutting, then power and speed. Just to make sure it cuts your MDF, set the Power pretty high like at 90% and Speed at say 20 mm/Sec that will be over kill but your just proving it Can do it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Rob
    This could be the problem, clean the lens, then clean your mirrors, check your alignment, then try cutting again. Make sure your air assist is on. I have my Air, Water pump and exhaust fan all on a separate Surge protected UPS. The machine will not run if I don't hit the switch to turn them all on
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for all the replys
    i have tried cleaning the lens with meth spirit but nothing is coming off it ? looks like i will have to buy a new one, will the mirrors be ruined aswell?

I wonder if the lens had crud on them from shipping.

If the mirrors look dirty take some DNA on the end of a cotton swab and gently clean them, an alignment might be necessary after cleaning the mirrors . Do you know how to align the mirrors?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thank you Bert, I have cleaned the mirrors using methylated spirit and done an alignment . Don't know what's next , looks like I will have to buy a new lens

Try scrubbing the lens maybe you can get most of that off. You can't hurt it anymore than it is now

DNA is de-natured alcohol, takes about anything off, acetone might work also. To replace you need to know the focal length of the lens and the diameter. They have them on eBay.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thank you bill
    how do you know what the focal length is , any way of explaining ?

Rob just get a 2 or 2.5 inch focal lens you can measure the dia with a ruler. calibers would be better.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 01-25-2015 at 5:54 PM. Reason: wrong person LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander