Thread: Bowl Turning Books

Bowl Turning Books

I've been turning for just over a year and mostly turn bowls (about 200). I'm interested in continuing to refine my skills and knowledge. What bowl turning books are out there that you would recommend? I've read Richard Raffan's "Turning Bowls" and "Learn to Turn" by Barry Gross. Suggestions would be appreciated---- I know nothing beats time on the lathe.

They aren't technically books but I got a lot out of the Glenn Lucas and Mike Mahoney DVDs. The Lyle Jamieson Utube clips helped me understand what the the cutting edge was acually doing.
    Trevor

+1 on setting DVDs and skip the book. While the text could "spell it out", there is replacing "seeing" it done.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thanks---- I own "Turned Bowls Made Easy" By Bill Grumbine and "Bowl Turning" By Del Stubbs and enjoyed both.

I second the Bill Grumbine DVD I have seen 2 of them . but if you have done 200 bowls might need a book or DVD on form or design.

The book that made the best impression on my work is Richard Raffin's Art of Turned Bowls. it is all about form and proportion. I agree with the others who have posted that DVDs are better for technique.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I know Richard Raffan's Art of Turned Bowls is great, but I do not have a copy yet, but it is on my to-buy list. There are also two other books, 500 Cups and 500 Bowls by Lark Crafts. Lark publishing also printed 500 Wood Bowls, but I believe that is out of print. It is not listed on their website.

I only own the latter of those books, but it is great inspiration for form. The first two 500 books I listed deal primarily with clay, but we turners copy a lot of forms that were originally designed for clay and seem to strive for the thinness of porcelain.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 01-25-2015 at 8:17 AM. Reason: added links to the books
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I agree with Rich. I think technique is best taught with a good DVD like the Glenn Lucas "Bowl Turning Techniques". But I think a good book like Raffan's "Art of Turned Bowls" is good as it gets for understanding bowl design. Understanding form and proportion makes as much of a difference as good technique and sharp tools in creating an end product that people will cherish.

Another for "Art of the Turned Bowl". Really helps you understand bowl design.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions-----form, design and embellishments is what I'm most interested in at this time----looks like I need to order Raffan's book.