Thread: Rounding over dowel rods revisited, with new jig...

Rounding over dowel rods revisited, with new jig...

I pulled up and old post a while back about rounding the ends of dowels, got what I needed at the time to do what I wanted with 3/8" dowels.

This morning I needed to round over some 1/2" dowels and decided to just make a jig to do them all when ever I needed to.

Nothing really fancy just some 3/4" plywood I had and a little time. I can now round over 1/4" to 1" dowels when needed.

It works very well, I have marked the center point for each dowel size on the jig and all I to do is set the height of the bit and it's ready to go. In the 4th image you can see it is set to do 3/8" dowels. I move the jig about 1/8" from the bit and then with the dowel in the hole I set the height.

The 2 slots you can see on the jig are for the router lift height adjuster and the lock.

As you can see in the last image I don't have a 3/16" round over bit for 3/8" dowels so I had to use a 1/4" bit.

P1243391.jpg P1243395.jpg P1243403.jpg P1243392.jpg P1243402.jpg

Your a very creative guy Bill. I enjoy your posts about solutions to problems.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Nice job on the new jig Bill. It looks like you aligned the bottom of the holes so they use the same router bit height.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Nice job on the new jig Bill. It looks like you aligned the bottom of the holes so they use the same router bit height.
    Well kind of, the main thing was I wanted to keep the bit low, I just don't like the bits to be to high. You still have to set the height every time you change to a difference size dowel.

I understand and I guess if you wanted a perfect radius you would need to change router bits anyway.

Great......I'm saving this one.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Will this be in a future issue of WoodSmith? Congrats on your dowel pin for band saw idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Will this be in a future issue of WoodSmith? Congrats on your dowel pin for band saw idea.
    No, maybe Wood ...

Your jigs are the best.

Very cleaver!