Thread: Ever have a bad day in the shop?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ever have a bad day in the shop?

One problem or screw up after another? Nothing going well? I did today.

Was making a drawer for an end table.
    1. Realized I couldnt make the drawer bottom 1/2" thick like Jim Krenov suggests - I made my dovetails too small and cutting the groove would greatly weaken the tail on each corner. Since I only cut 3 tails per side, that seemed like a bad idea.

2. So I got out my delta planer and took the bottom down to 1/4". Had a tough time - the planers feed mechanism seems to be slipping. If its damaged, Im screwed because of the delta parts "shortage".

3. Could not get my smoothing plane to take an even cut to save my life. It kept gouging on one edge or the other. I ended up making those 7/16" drawer sides 3/8" or slightly less. Sure didnt want them that thin.

4. While gluing up that drawer, tightened a clamp too much and broke the 1/8" of wood I left under the groove for the bottom. No clue how I did that.

5. Had a tough time with the glue up. Just would not go smoothly. Mustve exceeded the glues working time (or something) because after I removed the clamps, I realized one dovetail is loose - acts like there was no glue.

6. Then, I realized the additional effects of my planing problem in item #3: The very carefully fitted inset drawer slops around in its slides AND the half blind dovetails connecting the face to the sides are standing proud by 1/16" on each side of the drawer face. If I plane them flat, it will cause a far larger gap than I want around the drawer, and more slop as I slide it in and out of the table.

7. Got out my 6 month old Incra miter gauge to square the bottom up. Couldnt get it square. Huh? This is Incra. That shouldnt be a problem. Look at the head and realize that the thing is DAMAGED. I see bent teeth and it will not lock in at 0 to give me a 90* cut. I havent used it twice. Its never been dropped, etc. It was perfect when I used it last. Now, Im ready to puke, right? That thing cost $170. And I cant see how this could be Incras fault. So Ive apparently trashed a brand new tool. Did I mention Im ready to puke?

8. So, I set the drawer aside. Go in the house and have a cup of tea. Go back out -thought Id try to make a Veritas-style handle for my #5 hand plane, just to see how I like that (and to keep my mind off the damaged miter gauge). So I made a pattern, transferred it to the board. Started cutting it out on my bandsaw - TWAAAAANNNNGGG! Yup, the blade broke.

Took this a a clear indication that maybe God didnt want me to work in the shop today. Why I didnt snap to the chain of errors indicating it was time to halt much sooner, I dont know. Im probably lucky I was using mostly hand tools today. Might have cut off my arm.

Thanks for letting me vent guys.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-24-2015 at 7:42 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”