Thread: Some of my pictures i lasered engrave

Some of my pictures i lasered engrave

Here are some lasered engraved pictures i done on oak wood then stained them with gunstock stain from Wal Mart

IMG_20150120_191912.jpgIMG_20150120_192059.jpgIMG_20150124_204433.jpgIMG_20150124_204503.jpgIMG_20150124_204611.jpgIMG_20150124_204809.jpgIMG_20150124_204750.jpg

Blog Entries
    It's difficult to provide any useful feedback when you keep providing us with such poorly lit pictures, Junior. Either turn on some more lights or take them outside during the day.

I still don't see much color in your engravings, and I'm wondering if you are processing your photos incorrectly. For example, in your MLK (first pic), even the letters (which should be pure in color) fade in and out.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

And besides dark and blurry pictures, Oak is a poor medium for engraving or most lighter wood unless you color fill. The Search function here is a great resource.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hi I am new to the laser world but i would suggest you start with something simple and learn from that as often we try to run before we walk which never works out well (well it hasn't for me) as Bill said oak is not the best to engrave so its not the best place to start stick with it you will get there

what kind of wood would you suggest

disregard i found the types of wood best to laser engrave and they have them at Home Depot alder ,maple, popular, cherry, and they all are in sheets of plywood

Thanks
    Last edited by Junior hall; 01-25-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Junior get some Baltic birch its cheap and it engraves well, also buy your self a cheap camera with a flash. so we can see what it is your doing wrong.The pictures are so bad your never going to get any meaningful help. All we can do is to tell you to keep trying.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Bert Kemp i will see if they have Baltic birch at home depot

Junior Do you have a woodworkers Source near you, or a woodcrafters, they carry a good grade of Baltic birch,Home depot I think has it but it may not be BB but back in the lumber section they have hobby boards you might find it there. Usually in a box set on the floor with several different types of boards approx 6 to 8 inch wide and 2 to 4 feet long. Theres also some on shelves in 2x 4 foot sheets. If you really want to go cheap get a sheet of Luan 4x8 have them cut it down for you. Its not good for engraving pictures its a darker color but at under 10 bucks for 32 sq feet its great to practice with and it cuts easy.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I found some Aspen that engraves well at HD. 1/4" x 8" x 2' pc. I also got some aspen ply that's 2'x4'x1/2" that engraves well. It's cheep, like me, and is great to practice on!