Thread: Black Walnut platter with feather, 11.5"

Smile Black Walnut platter with feather, 11.5"

Rough turned this piece of crotch wood in 2006 and let it sit and dry, finally returned it late last summer and it had bowed enough that I lost the recess after turning the top side flat and then the bottom side.

So I picked a small block of dry Mulberry and glued that onto the bottom, turned it round and again set it away to do some other stuff.

A couple of weeks ago I picked it up again and found that it had moved a bit more, so returned the top side and the rim and finished that, after a few coats I stuck it in the Mega Jumbo taws and returned the bottom side and then removed the block.

Brought it inside and wiped a coat of finish on it and promptly forgot to wipe the finish off again , so now It sits here with a thick layer on it, slowly getting hard, probably have to sand it all off and redo it, but I will first try to sand it just smooth, maybe that will work, if not it will just take some more sanding, which I hate to have to do

Black Walnut 1.jpg Black Walnut.jpg Black Walnut top.jpg

Black Walnut with wood.jpg Face-off.jpg Returning bottom & removing block.jpg removed block & returned bottom.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Walnut is one of my favorites and the feather figure in this is great! You do an excellent job on making a flat platter...too bad about the finish. How big is this platter? You sure are a patient man Leo!

That platter looks so good, both the figure and your turning, it'll be well worth the effort. When it's done, a piece like that deserves to be displayed along with the story of how it fought you all along the way.

That is a wonderful piece of walnut and you sure did it justice Leo!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

thanks for sharing Leo, beauty

Beautiful piece of wood and looks like you caught the feather perfectly. Will be very much worth the work put into it.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Seyfried View Post
    Walnut is one of my favorites and the feather figure in this is great! You do an excellent job on making a flat platter...too bad about the finish. How big is this platter? You sure are a patient man Leo!
    Thanks Jim , The platter is 11.5 inches Jim, Thanks.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Browne View Post
    That platter looks so good, both the figure and your turning, it'll be well worth the effort. When it's done, a piece like that deserves to be displayed along with the story of how it fought you all along the way.
    Thanks for commenting Tim , I do like turning, ... re-moving/sanding a finish because of my own fault, not so much
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    That is a wonderful piece of walnut and you sure did it justice Leo!

Sid
    Hi Sid , how are you keeping, hope you are doing well, and yes thanks for commenting 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    thanks for sharing Leo, beauty
    Charlie it is certainly a work of art by Mother Nature, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to turn it , thanks.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Beautiful piece of wood and looks like you caught the feather perfectly. Will be very much worth the work put into it.
    Thanks Thom , It certainly makes you feel good when you are able to work a chunk of wood into a nice looking piece like this
    Have fun and take care