Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rank the tools in your shop in order of importance

1. Impossible to rank them because whats important to do one job isn't important or needed on another job.

Hobby woodworker/metalworker/fabricator.

Most important tool in my shop is my brain (it stops me from getting mangled by the other tools.) After that, it's hard to place them in order. It depends on the task of the day. I couldn't imagine woodworking without a tablesaw. The most used thing in my shop is probably my cordless drill.

Useless tools? I guess that equates to most seldom-used tools, in a way. If so, then probably reciprocating saw, biscuit joiner, and any drill bits made in China.

Hobby, I do whatever we need.

Most used Power tools:
    1. Table saw
    2. RAS
    3. Router table

Least used Power tools:
    1. Profile sander
    2. Mortiser
    3. Drill doctor
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hobby (furniture & home improvement)

1) table saw
    2) chop saw
    3) domino(s)

1) lathe
    2) mortising machine
    3) biscuit joiner

l love using a lathe but never have a reason to do so

Me: Hobbyist making all manner of furniture for my extended family.

Top 3 - Must have.
    Radial Arm Saw (used on every single project, I don't understand the bias against this tool)
    Table saw (ripping, dadoing etc that I can't do on the RAS)
    Router table (Saw somebody else mention it and realized how often I depend on it.)

Least used:
    Dovetail jig/tool (Granted it is a Sears version and not that good)
    Drill press (Don't know why, I just don't use it often. Mostly used as a spindle sander)
    Wet/Dry Sharpener (Stones or sandpaper on glass work 100% better and cheaper)
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Walters View Post
    I want to see how everyone answers the following questions.

1. What work do you primarily do in your shop. (What stuff do you make and is it done professionally or as a hobby?)

2. Three most important tools, ranked in order. These are the tools you use constantly or otherwise perform a task that you wouldn't want to do any other way. If one broke irreparably you would quickly buy another... etc

3. Three least important tools, ranked in order. Maybe things you thought you would use a lot more but didn't really need. Or it could be something where you have other acceptable means to perform the same tasks.
    1. Mostly furniture and "stuff" for family and friends...."stuff" includes a couple of guitars, a pergola, and some cutting boards. Strictly a hobby.

2. 1) Table saw 2) Router 3)Planer 3.5) jointer

3. 1) Wixey DRO for the saw 2) CMS 3) Japanese pull saw
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....