Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cyclone Dust Collector and adding a baffle

Just remember that the very finest dust, the stuff you get from drum and wide-belt sanders, is really nearly impossible to separate adequately with anything that will fit inside a hobby shop (or a hobby budget, for that matter).

My old woodsucker 2hp cyclone does a great job, as I find lots of fine dust in my barrel, from my small open end widebelt sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    My old woodsucker 2hp cyclone does a great job, as I find lots of fine dust in my barrel, from my small open end widebelt sander.
    I get a lot of it with one of my separators, too.

But even conventional cyclones don't get a lot of it, and the stuff that makes it to the filter stage plugs the filters pretty quickly.

I plan on getting a wide (24") belt sander. That was going to be next but my new 15" planer makes to many chips for my present DC. So the next purchase will have to be a DC. I was thinking of venting to the outside and taking the heat loss. Or at least venting in to an outside shed. I still have to make many decisions, but in the mean time I will be getting a Clear Vue CV1800LH with filters.

You might want to consider a bypass and vent when using the WB. As Phil said, a wood cyclone is designed for larger particles. Stuff < 5 micron in size only gets partially separated, like about 50-60%. To get more you need really high ceilings and a big impeller because the resistance of the cyclone goes up as the % of separation increases. Dave

David, my shop ceilings are 10'6" and I could go higher (above the ceiling). I plan on going with the Clear Vue CV1800LH w/filters. I only run one tool at a time and my biggest demand is my planer (15" Helical).

David, my shop ceilings are 10' 6" I could go higher (above the ceiling) if needed. Also I will be getting a Clear Vue CV1800LH with filters. I run one tool at a time and my biggest producer is my plane (15" Helical). My shop will have about a 40" trunk of 6" PVC. The only thing at the far end of the run will be a miter saw. Most of my tools are within 15' of my DC location. I am thinking the new DC will be able to handle all my needs and keep the air clean.

The 15" Grizzly planer is very easy to collect from. It was designed very well for dust collection. You do have to take the foam strip off the hood though. I was going to change it to a 6" port, but not necessary.

Jim, so far what I do not like is the port extends straight out the back... I am thinking of putting a long radius 90 on it. What did you do on yours?